800 lbs. + of lead ballast Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » 800 lbs. + of lead ballast « Previous Next »
By wuneyewilly (wuneyewilly) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 1:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aside from the obvious of having to trailer it around and not being able to instantly purge it, are there cons for running so much lead vs. the same about of H2O ballast?

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 1:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Negative boyancy. Also have a look on WB in the boat forums, there is a discussion currently going about lead vs water damaging the hull, currently one member is going to drop a lead brick on his foot and the other is going to punch himself in the face, not sure how that will solve the problem about lead vs water but that how WB is these days.

(Message edited by ralph on September 19, 2003)

By Andrew Johnson (painterdrew) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Some of both is a good idea. Good not to have to trailer all of the weight. Its very nice to have a decent amount of lead or steel. Its easier to adust the boat for different #s of passengers and different sports.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 4:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Where is the best place to buy lead?

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 5:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
recycling center for the lead. I've been collecting it from 2 local tire stores and was going to smelt it myself. Haven't gotten around to smelting it and have it in canvas bags in my bow storage. Of course im only like 5 minutes to my lake.

By Dan (gotpwr) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 6:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was going to order a couple of 65lb bricks from www.leadheadz.com to use to offset the driver when I don't have enough people to balance the boat. Anyone know of any other companies selling sealed lead bricks?

(Message edited by gotpwr on September 23, 2003)

By Clint (wakelksamm) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Supra SSV Gravity Edt. and I just put 1400lbs of lead in the boat plus I still have my bags. I take a pic today. It's awesome. As far as where to get lead. Try finding a nonferrous metal recycling place in your area or just a nonferrous metal place. Leadheadz are way over priced. I paid only $0.40/lb. I have also seen it as high as $0.60/lb in my area though, but a $1.00-1.25 is ridiculous just for weight.

By Whit (whit) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 4:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ends up towing a bunch of lead is hardest on your rear differential... If you are towing a bunch of weight, make sure to stay on top of your differential maintenance.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com