99 Nautique Engine issue Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » 99 Nautique Engine issue « Previous Next »
By Jason Beer (beerman) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got a 99 Sport Nautique with the 5.8 carburated engine. It runs like a champ for the frist half of the tank and then loses some power and doesn't run right. At first I thought water in the fuel, but that would be the opposite effect I think. The motor has a coil which I'm wondering if it heats up as the day goes on and degrades the spark? I've heard of those things going out in older cars causing the same effect. Any ideas?

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is that the distributerless motor? What happens if you keep the fuel tank full? I would start by checking the plugs wires on both ends for any kind of rust or corrosion.

By Jason Beer (beerman) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've just recently decided it might be something other than fuel, but I left it with about a third tank in it. I'll run it tomorrow before filling and see if it runs good or bad to narrow it down. I'm guessing if it runs well for a couple hours it has to be something degrading with heat. Oil is perfect so no head gasket issues, thank goodness. All guaged stats look fine all day...It has what looks to be a cap and rotor, haven't pulled it yet to see what it looks like. Plug wires are new with service in spring. The motor seems surprisingly old tech for a newer boat.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com