Attention 03' and 04' X-Star Owners... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Attention 03' and 04' X-Star Owners « Previous Next »
By Chris Molidor (cdm) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone installed a custom ballast system on the new X-Star? This is my general idea. Tell me what you think.. I plan on extending the stock ballasts port and aft breather/overflow hoses to forward side sacs and running the side sacs breather hose to the existing outs. Then adding two more self priming two way pumps connected to two custom 550 lb bags in the back. Yes, easier said that done, but do you think? You think the front side sacs would fill and drain well?

By KStateAlumni(aka Bradley Beach) (bbeach) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
From what I've heard the stock ballast is plenty. Why would you ever need more ballast?

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 2:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
KState raises an interesting question. I've asked several times and in several places about the amount of ballast that MC uses in X-Stars that pull at tour events. Nobody who knows has been willing to say.

The boat weighs about 1150# more than an X-2 and has factory ballast of 1100#, I think. That's only 2250# more than an X-2 without ballast and way less than what many X-2s, BUs, and other smaller boats actually run. Unless someone who knows for sure says otherwise, my guess is that they have more than stock ballast in the new X-Stars--a lot more.

I don't know what to make of it when a justifiably proud owner of the most expensive wakeboard boat you can buy needs to supplement the factory system with a full custom setup that include sacks, plumbing, pumps, etc.

By Justin Rudd (jrudd) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Travis has said somewhere what they use...

Also...Because of Coast Guard standards we are a long time from having a boat that needs NO extra weight besides factory ballast.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 8:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hmmmm. No one answered the question for me, but Travis did provide some info back in April. At that time, they were using stock ballast (1000#) plus 930# of lead. He also said it was a tight venue, so they were running "light."

I understand about adding weight beyond factory ballast. But having to install a custom system (or have a very heavy tow weight) to get the extra ballast that everybody expects sure sounds like a pain.

By Justin Rudd (jrudd) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Some consider it a pain to fill sacks manually everytime they go out. So they just assume plumb them in and have an easy time of it after they take the trouble to do it right.

Sorry Chris...

By Chris Molidor (cdm) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 9:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
anyway... The pro tour boat uses full factory ballast and 6-7 riders including the driver. They tend to keep the gas above half tank too. And for those of you who think more weight is suspect, your right, YOU.. don't need more weight!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com