Fram! (dave D) Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Fram! (dave D) « Previous Next »
By Barry (barry) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

A buddy of mine(Jacob) runs an oil and lube shop, he wanted to provide his customers the best filter he can get. In the end, he had to cut open and pull apart all(about 15) available brands of filters. By far, the absolute worst was the Fram. It wasn't marginally worse.. it's was absolute junk!

After some quick googling, I found this.. and it jives with what Jacob found. Because I'm lazy I'll cut/paste.

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

See above.

I find it hard to believe that a sub-standard oil filter could be #1 because of marketing.

You can believe it..it's a joke.

I use Napa Gold, a bit more costly(2-3 bucks more) but their construction is much better.

You don't want me to answer that! J/K
A sucker? No.. I think like the rest of us(with other purchases) you're a victim of clever marketing.

Take care,

B-

By Eric Golsan (sydwayz) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check this out. I have a '98 Dodge cummins, and the fram oil filter fell apart and oil starved the engine and blew it up. After a long battle with Jiffy lube, fram, Dodge and Cummins. Cummins finally stepped up with a new engine. FRAM IS CRAP!!

By gvb (gvb) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
www.amsoil.com

By Gary Van Orden (gvanorde) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
FRAM is absolute crap. You are much better off with Manufacturers filters like Motorcraft or Delco. NAPA gold is also a good filter.

NEVER put a Fram filter on anything you care about.
The only thing Fram does well is marketing. However, the steep margins on FRAM is a great incentive. Easy to offer great margins when you are the low-cost manufacturer.

By David D (wakeguru) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Damn, I had no clue. This kind of pisses me off.
I guess the "steep margins" is why all the DAPs sell them.
All this and they still outsell other brands 4 to 1. That's wack.
I'm changing the oil this weekend on my boat and guess what oil filter I won't be buying?
Thanks for the info Barry.
Oh, and you got me on the original debate of whether or not a company could have an inferior product and still have the most market share. It would appear that's exactly what Fram has pulled off.
Like you said, it's hard for anyone to know any different unless you have a situation like what happened to Eric - sounds like you had a battle on your hands Eric, nice victory.

By Barry (barry) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 8:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, I actually didn't want it to turn into a debate.I did want to show that it is possible to have junk and maintain #1 due to marketing.
They're slick!
I learned some things off that website too. It was good for both of us.

Take care!

B-

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com