Advise for new prop (pic says it all)... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Advise for new prop (pic says it all) « Previous Next »
By Pat Frist (qwert1420) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The pictures say it all. The prop was an OJ Legend 13x13 on a 94 MC Prostar 205. Does anyone have advise on a new prop? I usually run between 1500 to 2000 lbs when wakeboarding but I am looking for an "all around" prop.

By Pat Frist (qwert1420) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 7:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Same prop, different angle.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 7:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
13 X 11 1/2" Acme 3 blade. You wont believe the difference.
Check www.propellersonline.com

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 7:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have prop advice, but would suggest you get your strut checked out by the dealer. If you hit that hard, chances are your shaft strut got tweaked too.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 7:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good advice Andrew. I would also check the strut bearing. It could be the picture but it looks like it is coming out and climbing the prop shaft.

www.Wake-Me.com

By Sean M (magic) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I second the 13x11 1/2 Acme 3 blade and checking the strut.

I have a Cal-Air DD (very similar in size to the 205) that I run ~1500lbs plus people, gear, stereo... and went from a 4 blade 13x13 OJ to an Acme 13x11 1/2 3 blade. Oh my, what a difference. I really notice it when I put the old prop back on.

Better hole shot, better speed holding and still does 45mph (via GPS) unloaded.

By Bryce (sandman) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 2:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I third that on the ACME.

By Levi Cress (levi) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't even pretend to know much about the whole prop vs. prop stuff...but I thought that a 4 blade was better than a 3 blade for hole shot for a weighted boat? Can someone enlighten me on why the 3 blade is better? Thx.........

By Lance (uga33) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I fourth the ACME. I had an OJ on my Centurion and bent it and put an ACME on it. World a difference from my OJ. I went with the 4 blade, but they say the ACME 3 blade is as good as the four blade. I went 4 blades because I heard better things about the 4 blade than the 3 blade. Best price on new props are at www.propellersonline.com

By Shawn (csquared) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 3:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
With that kind of damage, it is doubtful you did anything to the shaft or strut, but worth checking.

That prop is definately repairable if you don't want to spring for a new one or if you just want a spare.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine is worse I should post pics.

By Utah Rob (robandrus) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
As long as we're on props, I have an 87 MC tristar 220, prop has had a hard life. Right now it's got a 14x18 4 blade OJ prop. Should I stick with a 14 or go down to a 13? This boat is fast with out the weight, but when you fill the fat seat, sack and 7 people it struggles more than I think it should. It also makes the Perfect pass sluggish with a lot of weight, with only 2 people its great. Help please?

By Pat Frist (qwert1420) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good eye Phaeton. The top bushing did work itself up and out. I have no idea how this could have happened and I will replace the strut bushings. In the event the shaft and/or shaft strut was tweaked, does anyone how it is checked and how it is staightened?

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You use a dial indicator on a base preferably a magnet base. Machine shops would have this gage. You set the gage on the trailer and read the shaft runout. They say no more than 0.003".

By wuneyewilly (wuneyewilly) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is ACME's website? For heavily weighted boats, is the ACME 3 or 4 blade the best? I too have heard great things about the 3, but always heard a 4 for weight is best...

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
3 Blade, http://www.acmemarine.com

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would call and ask ACME but from what I know the 3 blade is the best for D-drives and the 4 blade is best for V-drives.

www.Wake-Me.com

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is mine
front
side

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
DOH!

By wuneyewilly (wuneyewilly) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Damn! Did you try pulling a 'James Bond' and jump the levee?

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 4:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
LMAO, you guys are halarious. Ya my friend apparently hit a biig rock. I was in the water and had to swim to the boat. It sounded loud when it hit. The shaft is fine.

By Chris Sontag (hyperlitenrd) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 4:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
here r mine
whats left of our composite props

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 4:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
LMAO, this is becoming a props and boat pics thread. Well I say bring em on, lets see more of this damage.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com