range rover..good?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » range rover..good?? « Previous Next »
By elliott (renegade) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 5:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm looking into getting an older range rover like between a 97' to 00'. Anybody have one? How do they tow and just drive in general..I know I should go drive one myself which I am but I'm wondering what everyone else's input is..Thanks

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 9:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you aint gonna like it when it breaks down. your talking like triple the normal costs for repairs. do i own one? no, and i wouldnt. buy a chevy

By Ryan M. (h20jnky) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 9:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
absolute turd!!!!! my wife had a '98 4.6 se and i can't flame enough how big a nightmare that rat trap ended up being for us...... being from new zealand, we grew up around landcruisers and land rover's and beat the snot out of them. we get to the states, buy a new one and everything electrical/mechanical went bad: moon roof opened and closed on it's own, windows wouldn't roll down, interior lights went out (fun to drive at night) seat heaters would come on everytime the ac was turned on, leaked more oil than the exxon valdez and sucked the petrol like there was a leak in the tank! also, brakes and tranny always had a lingering "burn" smell after light towing.... oh yeah, and the idiot at the local dealership wired her hella rally lights on the brushguard to short out all relays when she turned them on! real nice rigs to look at but those brits need to get their act together when it comes to building autos.....
we finally traded it in @ 32000 miles to an unsuspecting dealer and purchased a new sequoia, which has been cherry the whole way.......
i would consider something domestic and more cost effective to maintain......
good luck mate!

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
told ya

By mark (propkiller) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check Consumer Reports on used 4x4's but the Range Rover is usually the least reliable...not to mention they don't accelerate worth a crap without a boat behind them.

By elliott (renegade) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 3:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea I'm starting to look at other suvs...what other suvs around this size are good?

By mark (propkiller) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 5:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2003 Tahoe, it pulls great and you can sleep in the back if you need to. But most importantly the color matches my boat graphics.

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
matters if you got a family to tow along. ride mooching friends can also throw a wrench in your decision. family or friends, you need an suv. tahoe is cool; i bought an avalanche. only thing i wish i could have had different is chevy's duramax diesel engine. kicks ass. i'm not a ford fan but their new diesel is bad ass too. plenty of hp and tons of torque

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 9:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 02 Yukon Denali and it pulls great. It has a bigger motor than the regular tahoes and a air suspension in the back, so when you load your boat on it the shocks air up and automatically levels the vehicle out.

By mark (propkiller) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The denali is a sweet ride but does it match your boat graphics? Cuz thats what really matters

By kristian coltman (kristian) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
unless you're in england or have a specialized rover shop by you, I would highly suggest against it.
and gas consumption is really bad.

By kristian coltman (kristian) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan M. See what happens when BMW take over.
the best Land Rovers are from the 80's, simple and reliable

By Gary Van Orden (gvanorde) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I pull my Mastercraft with my Ford Explorer with absolutely no problem. Even better, sometimes I pull it with the wifes Expedition....
If you want the ultimate tow vehicle, IMO, find an 03 Ford F250/350 with the new 6.0L powerstroke deisel. Tons of HP and torque, quiet, and incredible gas mileage. You will never know the boat is back there. You should be able to find a used Expedition/Tahoe around for the price of the Rover.

By KStateAlumni(aka Bradley Beach) (bbeach) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 6:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Last year before I bought my Grand Cherokee Limited I went and test drove a Land Rover Defender 90 and it was fine till you put a boat behind it and the get up on it was horrible. Not to mention it rode like a lumber wagon. I really wanted a GMC Envoy but they didn't make one with a V8 so I went with the Jeep GCL and its been a great tow vehicle for my Prostar! But you've got to have the V8!

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey renegade, I've only heard some of the stories (bad ones) about the Rover also, not to mention the horrible resale.
My experience is, with my older Malibu Skier (direct drive) that was only about 2,000 lbs the 2000 Chevy Astro worked very nicely (5400 lb tow capable). Not expensive lots of room, plenty of torque with the 4.3 V6. However, when I stepped up and got by V drive at about 3,000 lbs, I wasn't sure if I was pulling a boat or being pushed by one.
I then got a 1/2 ton suburban (1500) with a 7250 tow capacity) 350 vortec and all is fine.
Good luck

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like towing with our suburban and tahoe(its got the air suspension), seeing that they both has the same engine (albeit slightly different) as my boat. Does anybody have a Trailblazer or and Envoy that they tow with. I'm looking at getting one, and they claim that the new vortec v-6 can tow up to 7,000 lbs no problem.

By mark (propkiller) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A friend of mine has the Evoy and she loves it. Plenty of power. The 04's are bigger and you can get it with the 5.3 V8 so it'll tow just fine.

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the trailblazer/envoy engine actually puts out more hp than the 5.3l v8 thats in the bigger chevys (avalanches, tahoes, etc) not sure what the difference is in torque, but i'm sure the v6 in the trail/envoy is less

By Mark B. (sickboy) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 8:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We bought my wife an 02 Trailblazer, and it tows just fine. I still prefer my Tahoe, but I think that's just a preference thing.

By Bryce (sandman) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryanm,

GM 4.2 6cyl
HP: 275
TQ: 275

GM 5.3 8cyl
HP: 290
TQ: 330

So no the 4.2 does not put out more HP than the 5.3. The difference in TQ makes all the difference in regards to towing.

By william jernigan (wake_eater) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 5:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
DAMN IT, BUY AMERICAN!!!!!! besides, have the brits ever done anything better than us?

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Diesel Excurion

325hp
560 foot lbs of torque @ 2000rpm.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 5:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
William- Can you name an "American Truck" thats actually built in America?

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 6:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
last i heard the trailblazer/envoy engine had 290 hp

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 6:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what it was was chevy advertising 290 hp and advertising v6 at the same time, by bad

By Jason Beer (beerman) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Remember that the 290HP straight 6 in the Envoy/Trailblazer comes on at a much higher RPM, not nearly as usable as the 285HP from the 5.3 V8. Just my opinion though.

For Chris, my Tahoe was built 3 hours north in Arlington Texas. Pretty sure my truck was built in the States as well.

By H-Bomb (hbomb) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Denali.....Denali.....Denali....That's all I have to say.....

By Jason Beer (beerman) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
HA HA HA, you and my wife! '02 Tahoe LT and want's the Denali.

By T Rare (av8tens) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 8:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So does mine. The Denali is great but I am holding out for the new Nissan Armada, due out later this month. Check it out at:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=7071

By shane (auto) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 1:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
only thing ya ever need to know about towing is 3/4 ton or above and diesel, it will outlast, outpull, and outbrake any gas 1/2 ton.

By Dan (gotpwr) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 9:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here you go Chris,
Ford F250/350/450/550 built in Louisville, Ky
Ford F150 built in Norfolk, VA and Kansas City, MO
Ford Ranger built in Edison, NJ and Twin Cities, MN
Ford Econoline built in Lorain, OH
Ford Excursion built in Louisville, KY
Ford Expedition built in Wayne, MI
Ford Explorer built in Louisville, KY and St. Louis, MO
Ford Escape built in Kansas City, MO and Avon Lake, OH.
(Message edited by gotpwr on September 19, 2003)

(Message edited by gotpwr on September 19, 2003)

By aaron wilson (absolutofft) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 3:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
BMW X5 ?

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just a note, my buddies Rover Defender 90 caught fire and almost burned to the ground on Saturday. Some sort of problem with a fuel line!!!!!!!!

By Rob Wilgus (robw) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 5:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not a great truck to drive around in a hurricane either... this one was roving on the OBX during Isabel last week

Rover

(Message edited by robw on September 23, 2003)

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 6:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
buddy's

Westminster

By Ryan M. (h20jnky) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 3:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
HP doesn't mean squat...

You want torque for towing....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com