X-Star Stereo Upgrade Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » X-Star Stereo Upgrade « Previous Next »
By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 2:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When talking about this in another thread, I promised to put up some pictures. Here they are.

This one shows a power node for the amps, the back up battery, and the Hellroaring isolator. It all hides behind a panel.

Isolator

This one shows one of the three amps in the back. Two have caps (tower and sub box). They are completely hidden when the panels are closed.

Amp

Here is the sub box (not covered). The cool part is that is does not sit on the groud. In case water comes over the bow or if the heater core blows for the zillionth time.

box

Here it is all covered. Note the two new volume controls near the stereo controls. One is for the sub and the other for the tower.

Box 2

And now, the Nverts on the tower. They are freaking super loud and super clear. The seperate volume control for the tower is key.

Nvert 1

Back to the isolator. This is my switch that allows me to kick in the second battery. It's under the observer seat.

Isolator Switch

I'll continue in another post.

By David P (dmpappy) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 2:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very nice. How do you like the NVERT speakers?

Do they still sound good on the sundeck? There was some talk that they are designed to be heard from a distance and wouldn't sound right if you were close to them.

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 2:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Many people have had questions about the Nvert speakers. Here's another pic.

Nvert 2

The ones on my boat are the prototypes. Like I've said 100 times before, one of my buddies is behind the company and he's testing stuff out on my boat. They really, really sound good when you are riding. Way better than what I had before.

I would like to note that I did not do any of this install. I hired a guy named Mark from San Ramon Car Stereo. He's been doing this for over 20 years, gets great prices and does all the work at your house. Sure beats hooking your boat up and taking it in somewhere. Plus, he backs all his work. If I ever have a problem, he just pulls up in his mobile shop and takes care of it. Not that I have had a problem.

What is tuff to convery in the pictures is that the install is 100% stealth. Everything is hidden in water tight areas and 100% out of sight.

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, they sound great but the key to the whole set up is the seperate volume control I had put in for them. If they are up all the way and you are on the sun pad, it can be so loud that your ears hurt (several others on this board will attest to that) but still crystal clear. They can overpower the boat speakers if you are sitting there depending on how you have them set. But that is 100% solved by the seperate volume control. And, even when cranked, it's not harsh at all, just loud as hell.

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 3:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
One final blip note about the new set up. I had the stereo remote power moved from the ignition to a new accessory switch. That way, the stereo stays on when I turn the boat off. I much prefer it this way. Back to the new volume controls, here is a close up so you know what I'm talking about.

Volume

One is for the bass and the other is for the tower. THIS IS KEY!! They still both go up and down with the main volume. This just allows you to adjust it relative to the other speakers.

By Chris Molidor (cdm) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 2:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
AWESOME!! Sign me up!!

By dodge (triplexracing) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 6:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what is the rms wattage of the invert speakers?

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 7:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dodge, I'm not sure what you mean by "rms wattage." The Nvert web sites states they are rated to 600 watts. I power mine with a Soundstream Picasso 440. They sound great.

By dodge (triplexracing) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 9:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ok let me word it different is 600 max power or is it continuous power. in other words can it handle 600 watts all the time with out burning up.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 9:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do those volume knobs attenuate the input or output of the amps?

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 8:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dodge, I think 600 continuous would be way too loud but I'll check. My guess is yes as long as the amp doesn't distort you could do it.

Darren, good question. I have no idea. I had the system built for me by a pro with 20 years in the business. I'll ask him and get back to you.

All in all, the system pumps and thumps. I couldn't be happier.

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 7:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darren, sorry it's taken so long to answer your question. I spoke with my guy this afternoon and he tells me they attenuate the input to the amps. Itís an absolutely rock solid system. Far beyond my expectations. If anyone in the bay area is looking for a good mobile installer, he's the guy. His name is Mark and he's the owner of San Ramon Car Stereo. You can reach him at (925) 548-3933. If you have any further questions about the work he did for me or if you have questions of your own, give him a call. Just fyi, he came highly recommended to me by a number of people and now, Iím sold, heís the go-to guy for high end systems.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 7:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Matt, you are mighty

By Wilson Lee (leewilson) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much would a setup like your run? I have the eact same year and boat. What kind of weight are you running Mat..

thx

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 1:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can atest to the AMAZING CLEAR LOUD sound of Matt's system. On my boat I am running 2 12's / 2 tubbies / 5 cpeakers inside the boat.

When my rider went down I was 'overhearing' something, I dimmed my volume and I could hear Matts stereo from 200-300 yards away. I was in shock. Now it wasn't LOUD being 600 some feet away but it was crystal clear and I could hear it from my boat, I wish I had a pic of the distance but my entire boat was in shock.

I backup both Mark the stereo guy and the Nvert speakers - top of the line!!!

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay, Okay, everyone wants to know HOW MUCH$$
Also of importance, what kind of amp is needed?
Assuming that's all a go, WHEN can we get some?

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 6:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For the amps, I'm running three Sound Stream Picasso 440's. Two have rather large caps on them. The tower and bass. There is a cap for the tower to cover the two 8 inch sub woofers that are one side of the Nverts. In regards to price, I'd rather have that discussion off the board. Fire me an email and I'll let you in on the scoop. In all honesty, it was not that much.

As for weight, I run the stock ballast plus two side sacks in the back. I only use the sacks when there are only three in the boat or on one side if we are surfing. I've never had a complaint about my wake.

By Kyle (kylek306) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 6:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just don't understand how you separate the bass and tower speaker volume into two knobs...Can someone put it in lamens terms for me?

By salty87 (salty87) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
kyle- separate amps, separate knobs to fine tune the ouput level of those amps

about the nvert speakers.....there are lows on one side and highs on the other?...in the pics, the left side speaker is square and the right side is 2 circular cutouts (8"?). does that sound strange from inside the boat?

thx

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 6:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.nvertsports.com/

Here's the website.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com