Stock Speakers Replac. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Stock Speakers Replac. « Previous Next »
By Lance (uga33) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My Centurion Hurricane has four stock speakers that sound decent but when I start turning them up thay start distorting. This winter I plan to install a sweet sound system and I want to replace the stock speakers as well. Any ideas on what brand to use. Something that sounds good a water resistance. Also, do any of you have problems with your subs, tower speakers, and amp getting wet. I so affraid of spending big money on a sound system and being on the lake and the bottom fall out.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 1:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The distortion is probably from the amp (in your case the headunit) and not the speakers. Most speakers will play clean up to their rated power handling so unless they are really crappy the distortion you are hearing is due to the headunit - add an amp and it'll clean it right up.

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, what bill said. You can get some amazing sound out of stock speakers with an amp installed. Do that first and see what happens. Buying a high quality set of speakers is pretty much useless unless you plan on putting an amp to power them anyway.

By Lance (uga33) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 4:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks I appreciate the input fellas.

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 5:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree. I added a 600W 5 chan amp and a 10" clarion sub to my stock system and it sounds great. Sounded like crap before. Total spent was $300. There's plenty of pics on this site re: amp placement, so poke around and you s/b good.

By dayne whiddon (wdayne) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wow, y'all really answered some questions i had too. so do you think if i ran my stock speakers off a powered-sub it would make a difference. i have a sony deck and stock speakers in my centurion, and have to turn the bass way down to play it loud.

By Lance (uga33) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dayne I have that same problem in mine. I'm gonna add an amp to mine, but I have to be honest I'm a complete dunce when it comes to stereo stuff. I want to add two tower speakers, sub and an amp, but I want to run stock speakers off an amp as well. Do any of yall know if I can get by with just one 4 channel amp for all of this or will I need two amps.

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You really wanna get 2 amps for that, Lance. Here's what you do: Get one 4 channel amp and one 2 channel. Run the 4 stock speakers into 2 channels of the 4 Ch. amp. Bridge the sub into the other 2 Ch. of the 4 Ch. amp. Then run the 2 tower speakers off the 2 channel amp. That sub will love all the juice going to it and the six other speakers still have plenty of power.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 8:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kaiser,
Are you saying piggy back 4 speakers onto 2 CH's?

S

By John (hyperryd) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The four channel and two channel amp idea is sound, but I would run the boat and tower speakers to the four channel and the sub to the two channel or a mono amp. Make sure the the four channel is stable at 2ohm stereo and you should be good to go. The sub usually just works better with its own power supply. Rather than heating up the rest of the four channel, the sub amp will have enough heat sinks to cool down. By the way if you hook up the boat as the front speakers and the tower as the rear, you should be able to control the volume,(with the fader),of the tower to be louder when ripping and quieter when chillin. I know I am running on, but make sure you crossover the tower and the boat speakers so they are not trying to make bass. Let the sub do the bass and you will be able to go a lot louder with the mids. Good luck.

(Message edited by hyperryd on September 13, 2003)

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Simple answer: Bose 131's.

With or without an amp, if you block the lows from getting to your stock speakers, they won't distort. But guess what, you've just lost whatever low they could have contributed.

The 131's fit in the stock cutouts but have their own tuned, ported enclosure done in the Bose way.

I too want the typical highend system, but can't do it all at once. First step for me is the boat speakers, and 131's are the only option.

Next comes the three amps, the sub, the tower speaks, isolator and Troll Fury battery bank.

But first things first.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com