Replacing tail light bulbs on an MC t... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Replacing tail light bulbs on an MC trailer « Previous Next »
By Keith Wilton (wiltok) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I thought I was pretty mechanically inclined until I tried to figure out how to replace the tail light bulbs. Do you just pull the whole light assembly out of the trailer? I started pulling on the rubber gasket and ended up tearing it slightly. What is the trick?

By Dave Covington (damnation) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not too familiar with MC trailers, but they are probably like any other boat trailer. Just pull the whole light assembly, go to Napa and get a new one, and plug it in and re-install. Simple as that. Get used to this procedure b/c you will likely be doing it several times a year.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try pushing on one side to set it in, then pull on the other side. You will want to do the same when you put it back in. Once you figure it out, they only take a few minutes to do

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Make sure you push it out towards the front of the trailer when you remove it. Push on the light and leave the rubber alone. When you put it back in place the rubber in the correct spot, put the light in at an angle so that half of it is the correct position. Then take a screw driver (be very careful) go around the edges and pop in place. You'll have to use both hands. After you do it a couple of times it's really easy. Also make sure that you get the correct light, they will look the same but the connectors in the back of the light are slightly different.

By Levi Cress (levi) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Question? Do you guys unplug your lights before you back into the water? I've heard that when you're hitting the brake lights it makes them hot and then in sucks water into the lights and breaks the bulb? Maybe this is just on older trailers (my is a 1990)? Old wives tale or what?

thx...

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I never do but do have alot of freinds that unplug before they back in the water. I have never had a problem with my lights. They burn out every 2 to 4 years.

By William (sonicr1) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The lights on the MC trailers are sealed. So when they blow, it may be because of a crack in the lense, or just time to replace them. Also the MC trailers have a mechanism where you have to have them plugged in or the brake will not release.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 4:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
They have LED replacement lights, last 10 times longer well I know they are 100,000 hour and I think regular are somewhere between 500 and 1000 hours.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I never unplug my lights. Having the lights on at night make a big difference for loading. My trailer has disk brakes, so I need to leave it plugged in so I can back up.

By Ryan Bush (ryanbush11) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i just put the new leds on my x star trailer, and they look really good in my opinion, and they are alot brighter

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chad you don't have the 5 wire system that allows you to backup?

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 7:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I do have the 5 pin wiring. If I were to unplug it, I dont think I owuld be able to back up, so im forced to leave it plugged in. With a sealed LED light, I dont see why its necessary to unplug.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh ya I missunderstood, I thought you were saying you couldn't back up unless you unplugged it. I don't unplug mine and never had problems.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com