Macerator pump for draining? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Macerator pump for draining? « Previous Next »
By steve crews (screws) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 9:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am presently using two aerator pumps on my ballast system; one to fill with a scoop and one to empty thru my raw water intake. I can fill no problem but I can never drain my locker sac completely because of air in the pump. So I was thinking of a self priming pump for draining and west marine has a sale on a Jabsco 12v macerator pump that's rated at 12 gpm for $99. I can seem to find info on water puppys to compare flow rates etc. So has anyone tried a macerator pump?

By Chris Hargis (chris_hargis) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, I had one in my system, it is now in my attic along with my aerator pumps. I switched to the Simer Blue pump and I like it better since it is reversible. The macerator is rated higher flow (12gpm v/s 8gpm), but the reversibility is the key. With aerators and a macerator I had to have valves to open and close, but witht he Simer, I just hit the switch and fill, then hit the switch the other way to drain. The Simers are only $67 at B.E. Atlas, so you can get two for just a little more than the macerator.
The next problem I had was that it would sometimes shut off by itself and would take a few mintues to start back up (after less than 6 months use).
The last problem I had was that I had to use an adapter on the macerator to get it down to my line size and it always leaked there (even using a sealant). Hope this helps.

By Brad Duffy (the_madness) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Which Simer pump did you buy. I didn't seem one of $67 and the descvriptions are pretty minimal on the B.E. Atlas website. Thanks.

By steve crews (screws) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 5:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris, thanks for the info. I also am having problems finding this pump on B.E. Atlas website. Do you have a direct URL?

By Chris Hargis (chris_hargis) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Simer will run you $67 from BE Atlas 800-305-4393. You can't really find it on their website, but it is the Simer BW8512. I am thinking about adding 2 more to my system to speed up my fill and drain time. The folk at BE Atlas are very friendly, just give them a call and they will hook you up. You can get info on wiring them up using relays (to avoid using heavy wire for the full run to your switches). I have mine wired with 3 relays, but there is a 2 relay drawing out here now that I will switch to when I add the 2 extra pumps. Hope this all helps. If you need more info, e-mail me at cgahargis@elmore.rr.com and I will tell you what I know (which I learned from this website and trial and error).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com