03 vs 04 MC Racks? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » 03 vs 04 MC Racks? « Previous Next »
By Matt Anderson (xaggie) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whats the deal all the 04 racks I have seen in pics look completly different. Someone school me!

By Chris Molidor (cdm) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 5:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
they clamp instead of ratchet. I have heard mixed reactions. It has a trigger like grip, squeeze together to clamp, squeeze again and push button to release. It is nice because it does not limit the size of board it can hold! Not as much climbing and it can hold most surf boards too, and things of the sort!

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 7:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know much about the 04 racks, but I have to ask.... Is anyone having problems with the 03 boardracks getting tangled with your rope? This happens quite often to us when we are turning back for our rider. Twice now we didn't catch it and the rod in the rack bent and twice we are having the rack repaired.

I did receive a couple of emails concerning this but now I'm thinking of taking a poll. I'm frustrated, not really happy with the design of these racks, they bend way too easily and they stick out too far if you ask me. The rope gets caught even when the rack is closed and I'm tired of having to "babysit" the rack everytime we come back for our rider.....

Oh, and these racks aren't cheap.

Hmmmmm, I'm curious, maybe this is why MC changed the design already to the 04's.... Anyone else have feedback???

By Joe (joe_788) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The rope only gets caught when you powerturn. If you turn around in a way that is considerate of other riders on the lake/river, the rope will never get stuck once.

By William Ely (projectely4) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 5:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love the new ones.

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay, let me make myself clear.... we always idle back to our rider, we do not powerturn.

I do not feel like we should have to "babysit" our rope every time we IDLE back to our rider just to make sure it doesn't get caught in the rack. My focus is on getting back to the rider safely, and not running over the rope for that matter.

I appreciate those of you who have emailed me thus far....

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can the 2004 racks be mounted on the 2003 tower?

By Clint Holland (clint_h) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the 03 rack and have caught the rope only once all summer. However my wife caught the dock with one and you are right about them not being cheap. If you are hanging the rope on the 03 racks I don't see how the 04 racks will change that problem.

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just powerturn back to the rider and powerturn around your rider. Problem eliminated. Works for me, and I impress everyone on the lake. You should see how many people wave and holler when I do it!

By matt moss (mossy44) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
rofl

By Chris Molidor (cdm) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 1:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the 03 and have never had this problem. Its all in your driving. If you stay straight and slow down to no wake speeds, then turn right, go to neutral, wait until the back end swings around, you avoid the big rollers and the rope lowers. I even reverse a sec to avoid the giant rollers at times. If done correctly, you should avoid the rope getting caught in the racks!

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Paul: Great Idea!! I will try powerturning from this point forward!

Chris: Thanks for the tip, but did you even read my post? I mentioned that I idle back to my rider, so if I'm idling back to my rider, then there would be no rollers.... unless there is another boat passing by of course. Oh, the reverse trick does work well I must agree...

I haven't seen the 04 racks in person, but I have been told that they are quite different, and for one, they do not stick out as much. We spoke to the manufacturer regarding the 03 racks and he is sending us a new one for free, and we are sending the old one back. This is the second time for us.....

By Joe (joe_788) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 3:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Stefani, idling or pinning it back to the rider is not what is causing your rope to get caught. The rope gets caught DURING the turn. If you turn too sharp while you still have enough forward speed to keep the rope tight, it will go over the rack and get stuck.

Drop it in neutral and the rope will fall to the water, then continue your usual pick-up procedure.

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 4:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Depending on where we are riding, sometimes we need to turn sharply, and sometimes we do not. Sometimes we idle back faster and sometimes we do not. Sometimes we use neutral more times than others. Every case is specific, but yet, the rope gets caught up in the racks.

BOTTOM LINE- We shouldn't have to worry that depending on how sharp or slow or fast we turn that the rope could get caught up in the racks! I'm already concerned enough about getting back to my rider safely and not running over my rope.

Also- We drive exactly the same way as we did with our 2002 boardracks on our old 2001 Mastercraft (X9) and the rope NEVER (not once...) got caught up in the racks. So enough with the driving suggestions already, thanks!

Dave: Our dealer has confirmed that the 03 racks can be replaced with the 04's with a little drilling:-) We are going to research the 04's a little bit before we have this done. I'm done dealing with the 03 racks. They are too big, hard to get to, and weak....

By Whit (whit) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 5:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone measured edge to edge of the board racks on the '03 X-Series boats? They stick out so far, I wonder if anyone checked to make sure they stay within the maximum width allowed ona trailer. I think the limit is 108".

I've been told there are after market bungie racks available for the '03. Every year the board racks on the Mastercraft boats get worse.

In 2000 you could put multiple racks to hold everything from wakeboards, to skis, to foils. In 2001 MC changed the tower and eliminated all but two mount points for racks.
Then in 2002 they decided to force the consumer into a wakeboard rack. Mastercraft must want the foilers, wakesurfers, etc to buy a boat that will hold that crazy stuff--Mastercraft is only for the over engineered purist! :-) (Mastercraft doesn't have an option to hold a slalom ski, yet they still have a slalom pole...redneck engineering at its best. Not knocking the Vonore, TN guys)

The 2003 racks are a joke. You either have to be a giant or a monkey to close the board racks with multiple boards. I serious wonder if the Mastercraft engineers ever thought of letting a woman try to use the racks.

So that brings us to 2004. Great idea for a board rack that I first saw mentioned here on WakeWorld back in 2000/2001. My only issue with the board racks is how secure are they? I tow with a Suburban. Rather than have the boards flying around the inside of the truck in the case of an accident, the board racks are the best place to store the board while traveling. The 2004 racks have nothing holding the outside edge of the board. Will the 2004 racks hold the board well enough that board will not fall out after many waves and/or potholes?

Sure do wish Mastercraft would offer multiple options for board racks.

The soap blaster is still my favorite thing MC has added. Simple, not over engineered.

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a picture so you can get an idea of how far they stick out.

So let me get this straight. If I slow down completely and let the rope drop completely, this will allow the rope to clear the boardrack? It hasn't worked thus far, and I don't think I can go any slower than neutral!

Whit, great idea. I am going to measure them. And I agree, simple is better sometimes....

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whit, is towing with your boards in the rack a good idea. It always scares me when I see someone on the freeway with boards in their racks.
Seems like sooner or later there's going to be a bad accident because of this.

By Whit (whit) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've towed somewhere close to 50,000 miles with my boards on the racks. Every type of road. I've got a 20 mile drive to the launch on back country roads--twists and turns at 70mph. Bounces and high speed travel have yet to dislodge the board.

Only once did I knock a board off the rack--drove by a low tree branch and it yanked the board out of the rack. The bungie cord held the board against the tower. The tree branch was hit leaving the launch--didn't notice the board hanging till I got home. That was definately a close call, but I things had gone bad the only loss would have been the board. The board did scuff the vinyl though

As for safety--outside of the vehicle, to me, always seems safer than inside. If there is an accident or an emergency stop--where do I want the boards to be flying? Inside my Suburban there is a very good chance of those boards flying forward and hitting someone. If the boards are outside of the truck and do become dislodged from the board racks and turn into missles--what would they hit? Comparing the ratio of people to space inside a vehicle compartment to people and outside--my guess is flying boards would have a smaller chance of striking a person if outside.

The big drawback is the constant exposure to the sun fades your boards fast. Can't be too good for the bindings either. People have suggested getting board racks for the truck. Can't see the point in moving the boards to and from a set of racks everyday. The racks on the boat hold the boards just fine on the water. No reason they can't hold them just as well off the water.

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Stephani, your boat looks sweet! what kind of tower speakers did you get?

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tom, thank you. They are Boss 69's (6x9's).

Oh, and I'm drooling over your boat!!!

By kmickey (kmickey) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's the 04 Racks installed on a 205.
MC 04 Racks

(Message edited by kmickey on September 11, 2003)

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Stefani- I didn't take the time to read all of the posts so if this has already been said, please excuse the repetition.

We NEVER had a problem with the rope getting caught so long as there was a board in the racks. If there wasn't, it would sometimes end up looped over the rack depending on how the wind was blowing, and what the students did with the rope.

The easy solution was to keep a board in the top rack all the time.

FYI

By Stefani (wakelvr) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 9:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jason: Are you referring to your Malibu, or a Mastercraft with 2003 boardracks? After reading your profile, I'm confused. My post is specific to 2003 MC boardracks... (FYI).

If you are referring to your Malibu, then yes, I've driven a lot of my friends boats (various brands), and never had a problem.

By dayne whiddon (wdayne) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
stef, your boat is crazy pretty. with the exception of those albatross racks. do you drive with your boards on the racks like whit? if not, i'd ditch the racks and get some low-profile, more aesthetically pleasing one's, like your extra on top. there's my $10 dollar opinion, and it didn't cost you a dime.

laterdayne

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry Stef, I should have clarified. At our school we use Mastercraft boats, so this is specific to the 2003 style ratcheting rack like yours.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com