I/O skeg damage, performance issues? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » I/O skeg damage, performance issues? « Previous Next »
By Rick Sleeper (wakeskier) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hi,

I managed to chip of the rear corner of the skeg on my I/O.
Not too big, maybe the surface area of a quarter at most...
However when pulling a wakeboarder now, it seems like a feel the pull a lot more and the boat wants to drift more than usual.
I'm having a very hard time keeping a straight line...
Would that small of a chip really effect performance that much?

Any suggestions on a fix?
Are those skeg guards any good (I think i saw them in a Bart's catalog once?)

By Doug Triebelhorn (beginpend) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 9:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rick,

I have an OMC Cobra outdrive that has some minor chips/dings and I haven't noticed any steering changes. If you his something hard enough you might have damaged something else. I've also noticed that trim changed affect my steering, especially at low speeds.

Don't know about the skeg guard. I've been temped to try one also.

Doug

By Bruce Batcheller (bjbatch) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chips or even chunks out of the skeg guard won't really affect your performance. It really functions to protect your prop and drive from damage by absorbing the impact. You likely have some other factor that is affecting your drift. The skeg may have gotten bent, so you should check that and pound it straight. Otherwise, you could have bent something else and you may need to have it checked out.

The skeg guards work pretty well and will at least cosmetically cover your damage. To repair it, you usually have to remove the outdrive because most shops will not weld directly on the outdrive because the heat cooks the drive oil. That makes repairing it an expensive proposition, unless you time it with some other major service that involves removing the drive.

By charlie alexander (charlie) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also had some minor skeg damage, which I did when putting the boat in the water. I didn't notice it at all until I removed the boat at the end of the day. Checking with two different local repair shops, they both said that my skeg is more cosmetic than functional and (as Bruce said) really only protects the prop. Both shops said just to file flat the bottom and cleaned up the edges around the chunk missing from the backside and forget about it until next service. Its been this way for a couple months now with absolutely no effect in driveability or performance. I am having it fixed right now, but more for cosmetic reasons than functional.

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i always thought the skegs help to keep the boat from pulling when towing a rider??

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 9:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yes, but a quarter size piece missing wont be noticable

By Chris Sontag (hyperlitenrd) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We had a skeg gaurd on our boat till it got ripped off when we hit an island along with the prop, but the skeg was un damaged, my dad just bought another one to put on before our next trip. oh yea and we had a compostite prop which was completely sheared off.

By Brett Davis (bdavis) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 3:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no its shouldn't make a difference with that small amount missing. luckly I've never had the misfortune of tearing up an outdrive, but my dad did 3 times. It's designed to absorb the shock and break away so dont put a guard on it. Maybe when you hit it did do damage to the steering linkage or something else. Not too expensive to repair though....

By David McAdams (davemcadams) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gregg, we lost a big chunk of skeg from our old I/O and not knowing it could be repaired inexpensively, decided to buy a skeg guard. As it turns out, it could have been repaired for nearly the same price as the skeg guard ($125.00). Depending how extensive the damage, they don not always have to drop the lower unit to weld the skeg back.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com