Synthetic Motor Oil? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Synthetic Motor Oil? « Previous Next »
By Bob Holinski (bmblbee) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 6:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Might be a stupid question............BUT.... Has anyone had any experience using synthetic oil in your boat? My 2002 Supreme V Pro Sky has the Merc 315 HP engine. Since it's basically a Corvette engine is there any issue with using Mobil 1 5-W-30 (the same oil recommended for the engine in my 2000 Corvette) in the Boat? I understand that 'marine' applications are different from automotive but unless you get a lot of moisture in the engine (which I hope I don't and should'nt through normal operation)would the use of automotive oil cause any problems?

Like I said, it may be a stupid question, but I am curious as to the experience of others.

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 8:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Indmar recommends synthetic oils after 100 hrs.
I think it's a good idea after at least 50 hrs. but I wouldn't extend the drain interval.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What does the owner's manual recommend for oil? It would be fine to run synthetic but my guess is that 5w-30 would be too light. Boat engines run at extended high loads that cars do not see.

Pushing a boat through the water takes a lot more power than rolling a car down the road.

That means that marine engines are a lot harder on oil so they usually require a heavier weight.

If it calls for 15w-40 then I would highly recommend Amsoil 15w-40 Heavy Duty Diesel oil or Rotella T Synthetic diesel oil in 5w-40 weight. Both are excellent oils that would be great in a marine environment.

By Sean M (magic) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've used dino 15w-40 in my 2001 Merc 315 for the last couple of changes. Engine runs fine, very smooth.

This last change, I put Redline 15w-40 synthetic in it. Have not had the boat out yet since the change. I'm just curious if I can tell any difference. I think that I'll leave the oil in a bit longer than dino, extra 25 hours or so to help make up for the cost. Still cheaper to do it your self with a Napa filter and synth. than going to the dealer.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 8:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just started doing my own oil changes and went with Mobil Synthetic 15w-50. I was going to use Amsoil but couldn't get it in time for the change.

What the consensus on filters? The marina that sold the boat to me recommended using standard GM filters. Is Napa }considered better? Does it make a difference?

By Bryce (sandman) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A Merc 315HP is NOT a Corvette engine. The Corvette engine is an LS1 and is about a 5K upgrade engine 375HP offered by Malibu and a couple of other boat manufacturers.
But to answer your question you should be fine running synthetic. Just make sure you follow Merc's oil weight recommendation.

By Kevin Geary (wakescene) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been running synthetic since hour 51...I currently have over 300 on the boat. The synthetic does make a difference. For years I have been running it in my cars and boats, just make sure you follow the Manuf's guidelines for oil weight.
As far as the filter...You will get different opionions but I use the napa filters myself. JUST MAKE SURE, you still make the changes at 50 hours like they say in teh manual. Just b/c you use synthetic, doesn't mean you can go 100 hours between changes. if you do, be sure to change out the filter at 50, and top off the oil with what you lost in the old filter.

KG

By Jeff (socalwakepunk) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Callaway Corvette...stamped right on the side of the intercooler, "Use only Mobil 1 Synth 5W30 Change every 1500"...I've used this oil in all my engines (different weights) since I first saw this (about 15 years ago), and have never had a failure. Use the Mobil 1 filters too (I have used K&N also).

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 10, 2003)

By mr san (amixman) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
just dont mix synthetics with regular oil that can cause the oil to turn to tar whitch will blow the motor

By Jeff (socalwakepunk) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 1:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
or change weights, that will make the seals leak.

By Bryce (sandman) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Every 1500 miles! Yikes! Why 1500 miles on synthetic??? Sounds like overkill not to mention a lot of work.

By Jeff (socalwakepunk) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That was for a Callaway engine...twin turbo intercooled LT-1. As far as standard applications go, standard maintenance schedules apply.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com