Satellite radio in boats Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Satellite radio in boats « Previous Next »
By Geforce (grantmi1) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Kenwood radio that is Sirius radion ready. You can reply if you use XM also.

1. What antenna's work good and look good?

2. Are you happy, is the reception and music choice good.

3. Hmm can't think of anything else besides prices and places to install that are located everywere that you would recommend, ie; Best Buy.

Thanks bro's and sis's

By S Dub (sdub) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

I have the same set up. I went w/ the auto style antenna. Here is how I mounted it. I put it up under the bow. I stuck a piece of dynamat on the underside of bow, by the bow light, and mounted the antenna to the dynamat with the provided two sided tape. You have to gound the antenna, and the dynamat helps do that, as well as help direct the signal to the antenna.

Works perfect. Good reception and good tune choices. Only lose reception when somebody leans directly over the antenna area.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a rental car for a week that had Sirius. There were some decent stations but I found myself constantly changing stations looking for good songs. I listen to a lot of current alternative rock and they don't cover that very well. I didn't care for their rock station either. But it sure was nice being in the middle of nowhere and having radio stations, and no commercials. The unit worked well and the sound was good.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
S Dub cool man, so you can't even see the antenna.

By woody (bwood) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 3:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sirius is the have 12 rock stations bill.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 3:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
lol, love the red dots. Aren't we all adults here or at least seen cussing before.

By Joe (joe_788) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 4:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have Sirius in my truck, and regret buying it. I do not listen to rap or country music, which is basically all there is.

I listen to punk, classic rock, some of the newer alternative rock crap, and oldies. The oldies stations are good, but I already have two good oldies stations on FM radio.

I haven't even turned it on in two months, so maybe they've made some programming changes. I would recommend going to Best Buy and listening to the stations for an hour or so before you make your choice.

By Alan (tigeal) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 5:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have xm in my truck and boat and think it's great. Of course there may not be your exact music you want to hear but to have so many choices at your finger tips is awsome.

By Bruce Batcheller (bjbatch) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got Sirius in my new truck in June and absolutely love it. I can't image not finding something for everybody's taste on there! As for the antenna on the boat, I have been wondering the same thing. I don't want to see it on my boat, so I was wondering if anybody has mounted one on their tower?

SDub, do you have a pic of how you mounted yours?

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
YA ya I agree I want to see pics.

By dayne whiddon (wdayne) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i just got my kenwood sirius receiver. i was wondering if you could mount the antennae on the windshield?

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 9:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Guys, just mount the antennae underneath in the storage areas. The signals go thru fiberglass. If you have a bimini, you might want to install it in front of the bimini.

I have XM in my boat and cars and love it.

By S Dub (sdub) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 1:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

No pic. You couldnt really shoot one. It was basic. The antenna goes under the deck, right next to bow light. Stick on dynamat, stick on antenna to that, run cable.

Reception is rarely interrupted in this location due to no not having a lot of people walking past to block the signal

As far as mounting on windshield, I dont think you can. It must be grounded to metal. It was explained this way to me. Ever seen and tv sat. antenna. It has the dish with an arm sticking out of it with a ball on the end. Well the ball is the antenna, the dish just attracts the signal for the antenna. Same with the dynamat. It grounds and attracts the signal.

By shane (auto) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 6:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
xm rocks, have both in truck and boat. I can listen to espn game day while relaxing on the boat.

By Alan (tigeal) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 8:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
S dub, My xm antenna is mounted to the windshield. I forgot what model it is but it's a sony and it has a small mounting pad with stickum on it and a 6" antenna that pivots.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 8:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
XM is on the boat that I bought. The previous owner liked very much. I think it is pretty good, but I prefer CD's and MP3s. Channel 44 is cool. It was also really cool to be able to get news channels out on lake Powell.

XM vs. Sirius. I am not sure which is better to listen to, but as a company XM is doing much better. Apparently they are launching another sat. soon.

My antenna is mounted just behind the windshield, next to a 6.5 speaker. Here is a pic, but it doesn't stand out from this angle. I hear that someone (terk?) makes a very flat antenna similar to mine. I have no issues with the bimini up, but have noticed the signal going in/out sometimes. A hand over the antenna will induce it for sure.

dash

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wonder if I can get to the area underneath the bow next to the light on an open bow, also people sit up there so hmm not sure. I have seen three models the ones that go on the dash, window, and a folding small marine like antenna that is white. You can see them on Sirius website.

By Jay Rudd (jdr) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sdub, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if I am understanding you correctly, you stuck the Dynamat to the inside of the fiberglass, then stuck the XM Antenna to the Dynamat? So, the antenna is basically facing upside down?

By S Dub (sdub) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
sorry I was vague. No the ant. is right side up. I should of explained better.

I mounted it on a board, 8 X 8 in., and hinged it to the back of the open bow cushion, approx. 6 inches below the deck. So it faces up.

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 4:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put my XM antenna up in the bow, all the way up there with some of that super velcro stuff. It has worked perfectly all season with no reception problems. I like XM, they have special shows on every station where they play live concerts or a certain genre. They have a History of Punk show that is great, my kids like hearing all the stuff I grew up with. I recommend XM, I have a Kenwood that is Sirius ready but I use one of those Sony modular XM receivers.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com