Cheap Lead in San Diego Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Cheap Lead in San Diego « Previous Next »
By Jared Clorfeine (jclorfeine) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 1:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone know where to find cheap lead in San Diego? I haven't really looke around, yet, just thought I'd check here first. Thanks.

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jared, I got mine from a place in National City, I think it was A-1 Alloy or something like that. Bought about 425 lbs in 26 lb bricks. I want to say it was something like $.50 a pound but can't remember for sure.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Paul, did you end up coating it or just using it as is?

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill, I coated it with that plastic spray stuff several times, which reminds me I'm about due to pull it out and coat it again.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 2:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try your local shooting range.

There was an indoor shooting range not far from where I live. I called them up and asked if I could pick up some of their spent lead, and they said "Sure, how many dump trucks worth do you want?"

I picked up some sand bags from the hardware store and went down with a shovel and filled up a dozen bags. Hint: if given a choice, I would pick up the lead from the pistol/rifle range rather than the shotgun range. I got mine from the shotgun range only because it was closer. the lead had so much plastic (from the shell casing and wadding) mixed in with it that it made it a mess to deal with.

Also, bring a small shovel and a pick axe! A shovel full of lead weighs a LOT, you want to take small shovel fulls. It is also easier if you use the pick to spill some off the pile and then scoop it up off the floor.

I ended up with about 600 pounds, cost me about $1.20 for the sand bags......

By GRAMPS (akman) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 7:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A-1 alloys in National City has 25lb and 70lb bars for about .50 a lb. The 25lb bars are 4 inches wide x 2 inches thick x 6 inches long and the 70lb bars are 4 inches wide x 4 inches thick x 18 inches long.

Just go to Home Depot and get "plastic dip" it comes in an airosol can or you can get it in liquid form in a small paint can. Buy a few cheap brushes and there you have it. It is the same stuff that led hedz and some of the other companies are selling but it's half the price and you don't have to pay shipping. Just put 2 or 3 coats on the lead after you clean it or cover it with primer before you paint it, I have had mine for 2 years and the outer coating is still looking great.

The smaller bars are nice because they fit into some small compartments, the bigger bars are nice if you have room for them.

By Wes (wes_the_gimp) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 8:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I couldnt find any lead for under .90/lb and over a buck/lb for clean bars. I went to a pistol range and bought 400lbs for .15/lb = $60.
Then I put it into some super strong sacs made by Flexable Alternatives. No hazmat spills. No melting or burning myself. The bag molds into whatever locker space you put it in. Talk to Ty at tyb@flexalt.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com