Does PP actually move the throttle le... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Does PP actually move the throttle lever « Previous Next »
By Luke (lukeduke95) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 6:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey,

Got a home made PP here and trying to see how the real PP works. Does everything move off of the little stepper motor in the real PP or does it just move the carb linkage. Want to know if the whole hand held throttle control moves by the cable being pulled by the motor.

Lucas

By Garrett J Gross (waken23v) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 6:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Hand held throttle knobby thing does not move after the PP is engaged. Once you move the throttle back towards idle speed it disengages.

By Luke (lukeduke95) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks

By richard (ricktrav) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 5:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey luke if your homemade PP works let me know and I'll buy the design off of you.

By Luke (lukeduke95) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We are only a little bit away. Although we haven't decided between a servo or a stepper motor to control the throttle. We are also trying to make a better throttle linkage.

I see we have the soame boat though.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 4:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Luke:

I suggest that you drive a boat with a Perfect Pass before you attempt to make your own.

One important safety feature: the Perfect Pass can only subtract throttle, it can't add any. This allows for the driver to override the speed control at any time by simply chopping the throttle.

Since the PP needs some throttle to work with, it "steals" some during acceleration and holds it in reserve. This characteristic was annoying to me at first, as it would cause the boat to slow down while I was trying to ease it up to the desired speed. I became accustomed to it and now I compensate, advancing the throttle a little faster at the point PP steals it.

As for stepper/servo motor, I think stepper is the way to go. It is certainly what PP uses. I would be concerned that a servo motor would draw excessive current and cause heating/reliability issues.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com