Water in Gas Tank? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Water in Gas Tank? « Previous Next »
By derrick stahmer (shakkabra) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 1:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I recently left my boat docked half a day during some choppy water. When we went to go out for the day i found that the gas breather vent on the side of the boat had been broken off from the boat hitting the dock. About 10 minutes on the water and the engine started cutting out and backfiring, then it wouldnt even start. Could water through the vent reach the tank and cause this problem? The boat is a 2000 Centurion 315hp Mercruiser Inboard.

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes water can reach through the vent. it should be a cheap, quick solution. Merc sells fuel stabalizer for this very problem, a $4 bottle of it should do the trick.
the symptoms also could indicate a vapor lock, which could happen with hot weather, less than full fuel and rough water. try the fuel stablizer first.

By derrick stahmer (shakkabra) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 1:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How does it work? there might be a lot of water in there

By NoneYa (noneya) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 1:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If it has a carb you can unplug the supply line and drain the water out. There is a product called heet that will bond to the water. They have it at the autoparts store. I think the fuel stabilizer is more for when you store your boat to prevent varnishes from forming.

By dayne whiddon (wdayne) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 1:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i recently got a bad tank of gas at my local station. ever since then my centurion runs sluggish when i have full tank of gas, after a couple of hours it does ok. anyone else having a similar problem?

laterdayne

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dayne,
Replace your fuel filter and see if that fixes it. Worked for me.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com