Prop pitch question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Prop pitch question « Previous Next »
By Bob Holinski (bmblbee) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, I managed to ding up my prop last weekend but thanks to the EXCELLENT SERVICE of my Supreme dealer in Calgary I have a loaner prop to get me through the weekend until mine is fixed.

In the course of my discussions with the service guys that changed the prop over they suggest I get a stainless prop.

Question: I have an OJ 13X13 4 blade bronze prop now and have been happy with the performance of the boat at top speed and we have never had a problem getting out of the hole with a rider on the rope. Would I notice the difference with a Stainless prop of the same size and pitch? what would a 13X14 do to performance? Better hole shot or more speed?

Thanks

By Bryce (sandman) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 3:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ACME 13x11.5 3-blade. Do a search on ACME. Many on this board have replaced their OJ's with ACME's. All reports are positive from what I have seen.

With SS you run the risk of major driveline damage if you ever hit something. Not really worth it.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 5:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Going from a 13x13 bronze to a 13x14 ss would probably give about the same holeshot (if you stay with bronze, Nibral actually, then it would be worse). A SS prop has thinner, stiffer blades which results in a better holeshot and going to a 14 would mean a very slight increase in top end. But as Bryce pointed out, hitting an object with a ss prop will usually mean much more damage to the driveline than with a softer prop.

I switched from an 13x13 OJ 4-blade to a 13x11.5 ACME 3-blade and it's great. But then I wanted a better holeshot with the weight I'm running and I don't care if the top end drops by 3 or 4 mph.

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bob operators of outboard motors usually notice the big performance gain by changing to stainless. Considering they usually start with an aluminium prop, the stainless has much thinner blades and less blade flex.

Inboard boats usually don't see the substantial difference because the props (SS vs. Nibral) are very similar in blade thickness and flex. The stainless 13X14 would give you similar holeshot with a slightly higher top end. If your lake is deep and clean go for the SS but the CNC props (ACME/OJ) these days run much smoother because of the tight tolerances achieved by machining a Nibral prop.

Sorry long winded but either way you'll be happy.
I'm going to an acme on my boat.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 11:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So if you went with an ACME are you going to get the same pitch as your OEM prop "assuming your happy with the OEM pitch"? I am happy with my OEM pitch, but need to buy a replacment prop. Figured I would get an ACME, so for the same performance should I stay with the stock pitch, when I buy the ACME? In my case a 13X12. Or does it perform differently to a point that I need to consider a slightly different pitch to match the performance?

By Nick (drmalibupws) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 3:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just keep in mind that by running a stainless prop can cause more damage when hitting underwater ubstuctions. Brass and Nibral props give much more that stainless, saving your strut and shaft from damage in most cases.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 3:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doesn't ACME props come in both? I agree with you, I am looking for a Nibral prop, if I had stainless during the incident that is causing me to buy a new one, I would be bummed right now with some drivetrain damage.

By Bryce (sandman) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 3:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ACME are all NIbral

By Bob Holinski (bmblbee) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 4:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Based on your comments I'll get the original Nibral prop fixed and stay with it since I like the way it performs. My lake is quite deep but the areas than can cause problems are all rock (no sand) and as evidenced by my little mishap I'd prefer not to look for additional driveline problems because of a stainless prop. I can now us the $ I would have spent on a spare prop on other goodies for the boat.
Bob

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com