351 head gasket plugged. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » 351 head gasket plugged. « Previous Next »
By Joel Reeves (joel) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 2:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I reciently had an impeller destruct in my boat and have had a heating problem ever since. after going through the basics.. I pulled the heads. On the head gasket there are 4 tiny holes that let water into the head. on each side 3 were clear and one was completly plugged. The heads were not warped or cracked in any way.. I have flushed the bottom end of the block as well as possible, to remove any other obstructions. can anyone think of anything else I can do to make sure my block is getting proper water flow? and would the blockage of the 2 holes(one on each side) be enough to create my engine running 20 degrees to hot at high rpm??

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joel:
You bet any obstruction will slow water flow throught the entire engine and cause increase in temperature. Make sure you now have a good impeller, then check the circulation water pump on the front of the engine. Make sure there is no play in the shaft or seepage from the little hole on the bottom. I would replace thermostat just for good measure. they have 2 tempuratures 147 & 160.

Good luck

Rick

By Joel Reeves (joel) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Rick.. I am way ahead of you on that.. I blew out the head this morning and found alot more impeller parts.. I basicly have replaced everything with new, except the engine water pump.. which I removed and checked for blockages.
My orrigional thermostat was a 147, I replaced it with a 160. Is this a good idea, or could it cauze me greif later??

By wake_fun (wake_fun) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You might as well port and polish your heads since you have them off

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well put wake fun. More power is GOOD. ARHH,ARHH,ARHH!

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 5:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
160 is fine as long as you have good H20 flow. If you heads are off then so are your ex manifolds, If rusty have them htotanked at a radiatir shop and repaint and regasket them. Theyll last much longer. Also ck the exhaust hose where it connects to the manifold if it got ral hot with no water flow the hose could be crusty and brittle inside and fail. jsut a thought since you've gone that far.

Rick

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com