Used Mastercraft X-Star or New Mobius... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Used Mastercraft X-Star or New Mobius LSV? « Previous Next »
By Jon Schmidt (wake_pimp) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Over the offseason, I'm looking to trade in my Malibu Sportster. My question is this. I'm looking for something in the 30's. Therefore, I think my best options are either a new Mobius LSV or a used Mastercraft.

Would you guys look for a low-hours Mastercraft X-Star or X-2 or a new Mobius?

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 6:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
x-star (x-2 if you can find one cheap enough)

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 6:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
x-star

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 8:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
both good boats with good wakes, but depreciation is the key my friend...

x-star

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 8:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Thane. Resale. I think buyers will pass up on a older, less known boat, Buy the boat you really want. So what if it is used?

By Ryan Bush (ryanbush11) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 5:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
x star is proably a better boat, but the mob is nice too.

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
X-star or any x-series. Better quality all around. They are more expensive for a reason. Fit and finish is far beyond that of a moomba. Moombas are great boats for the price, but if you have a choice go with the MC.

By highrider (highrider) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wake-pimp - I sent you an email - check your account. I live in your area and have an x-star for sale. pic also in my profile. Just thought I'd pass it on...

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
People give advice about buying based on depreciation, but not too many here say, "I coulda bought a brand new SAN, but I got a 3-year old boat instead to avoid the depreciation hit." Taking the depreciation rationale to its logical conclusion, we all would be buying mid-80's boats.

If you're looking at spending in the $30's of your money, you should get whatever you really want. If the best you can say about a boat when you sell it is, "Boy, it didn't depreciate too much," you bought the wrong boat in the first place.

Since you mentioned Moomba, I definitely recommend that you ride behind the new XLV before making a purchase decision.

First and foremost, it has a great wake. It also has an Indmar engine like the MC (but with fewer recalls), and it has a better transmission/v-drive unit (i.e., the same as a Malibu and SAN). Besides the wake, it's best feature is that it is very roomy, with tons of storage. Because of its size, it may be more likely to suit your needs over the long haul. Plus, you probably can get better financing on a new boat to help offset (but not entirely offset) the depreciation cost.

Finally, you also should carefully consider the reputations of the dealers in your local area for whatever boats you are considering.

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
blah blah blah blah BLAH!! I've never heard anyone say "boy my boat didn't depreciate too much," but I have heard people say, "man, I bought my nautique 10 years ago, and I can sell it for just a few thousand less than what I paid for it. Now that's a purchase that I don't regret." No matter what, a boat is going to depreciate the same amount over a given period. It is true that you can get better financing on a NEW boat, but it will depreciate and you would have to invest the same amount of money, regardless of financing, to keep from getting upside down. Better finacing = longer period = lower interest rate, but you still have to pay the same amount towards the capital to be ahead on the boat.

The reason people buy brand new boats is because they're confident in their purchase, they know they're not going to be selling, and they know they're going to keep the boat for 10-15 years; therefore, they don't care about depreciation or resale. The boats are gonna be similar in price in late 2003, but in late 2006, you would have paid the same amount of money, but the used 4 or 5 year old Mastercraft will still be worth more than the 3 year old Mobius. If you plan on keeping the boat for 15 years, who really cares, but if you want to sell it in three years, well...so sorry, but you're gonna lose money.

Jeff - what I was saying is that a Mastercraft typically holds it's value better than a Mobius, and since it's already taken it's substantial hit in depreciation, that would be the logical purchase.

Wake pimp - definitely buy what you want.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 5:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Old X-star.

No comparison when it comes to wake. If it's anything like the other Mobius wakes the X-star wins hands down.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 5:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"blah blah blah blah BLAH"? It's nice to part of a community that respects differing viewpoints.

If you had taken a moment to understand what I said, you'd see that I agree with a lot of what you say. A new Mobius certainly will depreciate faster than a used X-Star, and favorable financing cannot make up all the difference.

But boats are a very expensive proposition in any event, and it would be shame to spend over $30K on something that doesn't really meet the need just to avoid an increment of depreciation--that the buyer may be able to afford.

Depreciation may be "the key" for you, but why must it also be "the key" for everyone else? I've bought lots of things based strictly on cost. But the things I've really enjoyed were selected based on other considerations. Low ownership costs do not necessarily equate to subjective "value."

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 11:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff - ok I see your point. It's all about what is truly important to you. For me the depreciation factor is very important. I was just stating my opinion. Sorry for gettin' all blah blah blah on you, but I thought you were takin' a jab at me with the "boy my boat didn't depreciate that much" line. I see where more where you're coming from now, and I know you see my point so no harm done.

By matt (supraman) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 1:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andrew,

You'd take any X-series over a Moomba LSV?? I'd take an LSV over an X-5 any day. Probably over an X-7 too. In fact, if both boats were free, I'd take the new Moomba XLV over the entire X lineup, perhaps with the exception of the X-Star. If I was paying, I'd take the XLV no matter what.

Just a different perspective.

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 3:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow, those are some bold comments. You must really like Moombas, Matt!

By matt (supraman) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 9:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andre,

I didn't say I'd take just any Moomba. However, I've been in the X-5 and X-7. Both are short, fairly narrow direct drives that tended to get tugged around a good bit by even a modestly cutting rider. They come with a sack underneath the back seat and I think that's it in terms of factory ballast. I'd much rather have the LSV, a V-Drive with fully-plumbed ballast than either of those two direct-drive converted-waterskiing boats. Andrew said he'd take any X-series over the LSV. I was trying to point out that I think it's brand loyalty to the extreme to say you'd take a boat not as well suited for wakeboarding just to get the MC name and "quality."

As for saying I like the all new XLV over the entire X series with the possible exception of the X-star? Yes, that is a very bold statement. I hope that people just test this boat before assuming I'm off my rocker. This boat is a paradigm shift for Moomba. I'm really excited to see how other people on the board feel about it after riding it. Let me know when they start showing up on the West Coast.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like Mastercrafts and they are pretty, the xstar is cool. All I know is I like my Moomba and I the customer support all around is greaat. I would like the new LSV or some kind of big ass Moomba V drive. The LSV is huge.

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 6:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt, thanks for the comments. They are well thought out.

By kristian coltman (kristian) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm gonna take a simple look at this: In my experiences the X-Star(X-2) has a bigger wake than the mobius LSV. Just making another point to think about.

By Daniel W Baxter (danb) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well ive never owned a boat and ive only wakeboarded about 3 times so i dont know much about all the boats out there but i just ordered a new Moomba XLV yesterday so i let you all know how it rides when i get it.. hope its as good as they say it is

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 4:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
congrats

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 6:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, Dan -- Congrats. I hope you enjoy it as much I did when I got to ride behind one.

By Daniel W Baxter (danb) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
jeff what how much ballast did the boat have in it when you rode it ?

By Steven E. Cowen (stormrider) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 6:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kristian: You dissing my Mob LSV? Just kidding.

He's right (and he's ridden behind my boat-- Coltman also rips, one of the best riders I know and probably the one with the most potential). I own a Mob. LSV and have also ridden behind the X-2. My LSV's for sale cuz I wanna buy an X-2.

Oh, and Kristian--you can come back to the states now. The coast is clear. The baby wasn't yours.

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keep in mind the question concerned old X-Star/X-2 and not X-5 or X-7, which are slalom boats with towers - Don't ever buy one of those. AND now with all this XLV and VLX flying around I can't keep it all straight. Is dyslexia running rampant here 'cause now I can't figure out anymore if you guys are bragging about your Malibu or your Moombas. New Leader, No Rules, Held to setting the Standard of Pulling Further Ahead for What Reason. God, do any of these boat companies have an original idea anymore?

By Jeff (socalwakepunk) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tastes Great - Less Filling!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com