Taking on excessive water Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Taking on excessive water « Previous Next »
By Brad G. DeHaan (bdehaan) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Our boat seems to be taking on too much water. The last few times after we've trailered the boat we've been draining excessive amounts of water from the plug. Last night after only about an hour of wakeboarding, we drained (guessing) about 3/4 of a gallon of water from the plug. The amount is excessively high from what we're used to draining. Usually its a small trickle, if any at all. I don't know what the problem is. This last time, I made sure the plug was in tight so I know its not that. Our boat is an inboard/outboard 99 20 ft. Stingray with 160 hours. Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

By Chris Sontag (hyperlitenrd) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well when we get into our boat we are usally soaking wet and are drippin all over the place and my dad always yells at us, you guys r bringin gallons of water in to the boat! I guess that it goes through the floor or sumtin

By Bryce (sandman) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check your shaft packing. This is the most common place for a leak.

By Rick Sleeper (wakeskier) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 2:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2000 19ft Stingray I/O

atleast 3/4 of a gallon seems to be about what I normally drain after an hour session (granted we are filling fat sacs and coming in wet)
I thought it might be a leak, but I had the boat in the water for a week straight and didn't have any more water to drain than normal...

Seems like I only have to drain water if we do watersports

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 2:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bryce, it's an I/O.

I agree w/Rick. Also, are you using wet suits yet? That can add to the water in the bilge.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check the seal around the rub rail. My old Maristar use to leak around it, a little sealant and it should be good as new.

By chuck (luckychuck) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mabey check exhaust bellows, had the same
thing going on with our reinell. or it does sound like more wet people more sack filln
excess water worries.

By Brad G. DeHaan (bdehaan) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the input. It sounds like excess water worries; we have been using wetsuits lately. No fat sacs though. I check on the exhaust and rub rail as mentioned. Thanks.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brad:

I would certainly check a few critical areas just to make sure that you aren't noticing the beginning of a much bigger problem.

I/Os all have some sort of a seal that allows the outdrive unit to pivot yet keep the water out. This is ususally in the form of a set of "bellows" or a large rubber diaphragm. This seal has to flex with the outdrive movement, and eventually it will fail. A typical failure starts with a small crack. If the crack is on top, it may be above the water line and not be noticed. It it is below the water line, you have a leak. A small leak is not a problem, but a small tear in the seal can work its way into a large tear, and possibly into a total rupture. Then you have a large hole below the water line, and a big problem.

Another common source of water leaks are the pumps, raw water and circulating. The pumps have shaft seals, and these seals will eventually fail resulting in a water leak. The bad thing about these types of leaks is that the water is also washing the grease out of the bearings which will lead to a bearing failure a short time later.

Hoses are another source of leaks. After a number of years a hose will degrade, crack and start to leak. This process is accelerated if the hose is stretched tight or if it gets pushed/stepped on when you attempt to access other areas.

There are other areas around the engine that could leak: freeze plugs can rust out, cylinder head or manifold gaskets can fail, exhaust systems, etc.

If the water isn't coming in from the engine area then look at any fitting that passes through the hull. Stablizing fins can work loose. Through hull depth sounder transducers can leak.

As Pat said, it is possible that the leak is where the deck and hull join. A typical boat construction has the deck fit over the hull, then the two parts are bolted/riveted together. The rub rail is then put on over the top of this joint to hide it. A previous boat that I owned would occasionally break the pop rivits that held the joint together and they would separate a little bit up near the bow. On sharp turns, the water would deflect up the hull and spray this joint, and water would be funneled into the gap. Caulking the underside of the rub rail might solve the problem, but in my case I had to refasten the deck to the hull.

If you check everything over and don't see the signs of a larger problem, then I wouldn't worry too much about a gallon an hour leak, especially if it only occurs when you are running. Be sure your bilge pump works though!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com