Battery Problems- 01 Mastercraft X-Star Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Battery Problems- 01 Mastercraft X-Star « Previous Next »
By Gary Van Orden (gvanorde) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 10:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Was out on Folsom Lake last night and had to idle back to the dock. The voltmeter dropped to 11 and then to 10. At that point the engine would not run over 1000 rpm. Found out the #1 battery was . #2 barely got us back to the dock before it gave out.

Question: Why didn't the alternator keep the boat running? Did the fact that the alternator was connected to #1 and #1 was cause the electrical system to malfunction and not recharge #1 or #2?

Or is my alternator shot?

By Gary Van Orden (gvanorde) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry, it should read that I found out the #1 battery was . #2 barely.....

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
sounds like your alternator died and your engine was running off the batteries stored energy, only has so much so it was dieing as you were cruising in. Dont know how your system is wired so i cant say why both batteries were dead??

By Chaun Keating (big_poppa_pump) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary,

Had the same thing happen in my 99 X-Star 2 years ago. The alternator died but didn't really notice it until the voltmeter dropped way down...and boat started puttering along. I think the alternator was going in and out for a little while before it died completely.

I assumed it was the battery at first, and swapped over to my spare. Everything seemed to be fine but then it died also, that was when the alternator gave up completely.

The problem was caused by the fact that the alternator housing tab cracked allowing the alternator to move around a bit and this was pulling on the wiring which eventually split.

MC has a recall or repair advisory on that alternator. They just add a small bracket to brace it up on the weak side. Its free, so make sure that is on there once everything is repaired/replaced.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com