how old is too old? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » how old is too old? « Previous Next »
By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 1:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does a 98 malibu or 98 mastercraft have everything you need for good wakeboarding and good skiing?
What I really want to know is how old is a boat before it is out of date. I s the technology on the new boats that much better than a boat that was made in 98?
Thanks

By Ryan Bush (ryanbush11) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 1:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
it varies from boat to boat, some of the companies have changed the hulls on their wakeboard specific boats, and some are still using the old skiboat hulls. Which boat are you looking at?

By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 3:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mastercraft or malibu

By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 3:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mastercraft pro star205 1998

By Mike Morris (upupnaway) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 3:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ride behind them both....see which one you prefer.

By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 4:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
are they both close enough to the newer models in technology

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can not comment on the Malibu much, but the Prostar 205 direct drive can throw a HUGE clean wake. The Mastercrafts and the Nautiques are great boats all the way back to the early 90's. By personal taste the pre 1997 Sport Nautique has one of the best hull shapes around.

By Cory Sellers (jaxboarder) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 7:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My friend has a 93 protstar 190 w/ 1900 lbs and the wake is above my knee (im 6'4")

By aaron wilson (absolutofft) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 9:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How does he weight it Cory? I am using a fatseat in the back of my 98 sportstar, but some say it is only 1200lbs so I need more weight :-)

By Greg Hodgin (eccpaint) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 6:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Both are good boats. Some of the Malibu ski boats are pretty low to the water in the back and if you are weighting down, there may be a potential hazard taking on water over the stern in a sudden stop. I don't know this for sure. But I would check into it.

By Greg Hodgin (eccpaint) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 6:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Malibu
This not the best picture of what I was talking about. Notice the distance between the swim platform and the top of the stern. it is less than most other boats I have seen.

BTW I love Malibu, they make great boats. But weighting down ANY boat with low gunwales would be of concern to me. Hopefully some one with a similar boat will respond & say they have never taken on water over the stern , even when weighted.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a 1988 centurion falcon and it sucked so bad, it was to low to weight and the wake suxored more than anything out there.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com