Color above the rub rail? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Color above the rub rail? « Previous Next »
By Joe (joe_788) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A buddy of mine is looking at buying a new VLX, and I'm trying to convince him to get order it with a color above the rub rail, instead of traditional white.

I've seen a black and blue Malibu with NO white on it at the Sac. River several times, and I think it's probably the best looking boat in the area.

Do any of you have a completely solid, or two tone boat, with no white gelcoat anywhere? Any pros/cons? I would be a little weary of black, because of the heat, but maybe blue, red, or yellow? I looked through the gallery at MBO.com for awhile, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

By Alan (tigeal) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe Chad Sharpe has an all green one and it is so ugly, just my opinion and did not mean to affend anyone.

By John (hyperryd) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a solid red boat and I love it. The interior is incredible, because of the red fiberglass. The only problems that I see are waterspots everywhere (a little extra clean up never hurt anyone), and scuff/scratches are much more visible on the darker colors that the white.

By fuel (fuel) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat is solid blue above the rub rail. Overall, I really like it, it looks sweet. The main cons are 1)it gets freaking hot in the Texas sun and 2)water spots show up on it 2 or 3 times as bad.

Overall, I like it better just because it looks better. That being said, I love the looks of the black boats, but there is no way in hell I'd own one. It would definitely keep people from walking around on your gunnels, though.

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Any solid colored top deck is going to get significantly hotter than a standard white top deck. They do look really good. I've found that the colored top deck takes some white away and it makes it so it's not so blinding when youre sitting in the boat or driving. One thing to think about is when you're zoomin' down the lake, people won't be able to see the water spots and small scratches that you'll get over time. The boat that I'm talking about is a blue/white SAN, blue above the rub rail, and blue secondary stripe, the rest is white. Looks really really good.

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 11:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

And I really like chad sharpe's all green VLX.

By Alan (tigeal) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Seriously TD?

By Joe (joe_788) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That SAN is nice!

Anybody else have any pictures of any color above the rub rail?

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 7:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Alan - yeah, it's different. I think any it contrasted well with that '04 graphic that looked kinda shiny and it had a polished titan tower on it right. I just remember glancing at the pic in WBM and liked the look of it.

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 6:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
personally, i wouldnt want the color above the rail. fighting a battle that your not gonna win with the water spots, but that goes for anywhere on the boat with color. alan, your wrong about chads 'bu, that color rocks. i wouldnt want to clean it though

By Alan (tigeal) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 8:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan, I guess I'm too conservative. I did notice your profile though and you are right in the mainstream with your colors, what do you think about trading that Reinel in on a solid green one with green matching trailer and tow rig too?

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 4:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat is graphite top and bottom and onyx (black) in the middle.
04vlx-day 1.jpg

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Alan tried to post this pic.

Is this chad's boat?

By Joe (joe_788) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love that green VLX! I don't know if I would buy it though. In 5 years I may not think it's so cool. I'd like to see that same layout, but all bright blue, with the ECI tower.

Why doesn't Malibu offer any boats with a brushed aluminum tower?

By Alan (tigeal) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chads boat is an 04 and this one is an 03 so no it is not chads but the idea is there. Thanks TD

By David Mason (rocketman) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe,
\
I think the best of both worlds is to have a three inch wide color stripe above the rubrail. It adds to the look, without the problems having the whole top of the boat colored (although I like that also, but not for Arizona). That is what I've got for my older Malibu, and I think it looks so nice compared to other older Malibus that have no color stripe above the rubrail. Sorry no pictures (no digital camera), but a recent Wakeboarding magazine had a picture of Grubb's Malibu that has a black strip that extends about three inches above the rubrail. Check it out.

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 4:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
alan, green boat yes, green truck, no. white truck

By Alan (tigeal) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 8:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heres one more

By John (hyperryd) on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 9:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can't go wrong with red.

}

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 5:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Joe, Malibu does have a polished Stainless Steel tower. It is a little pricey though, so most people go with the painted towers.

By S Dub (sdub) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 2:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Skylon makes a brushed alum. tower. You can get polished or brushed.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com