i/o or v drive? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » i/o or v drive? « Previous Next »
By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is there that big of a difference between an i/o and v-drive?
Is it worth it to spend the extra money to get a v-drive now or wait untill I get good enough on a wakeboard to really need the big wake?
Also is the wake on am i/o better for slalom skiing or better on a v-drive?
And last I would assume the ride on i/o is better in rough water.
I would be looking at a chaparral 196ssi or a moomba outback lsv, please help me out with which fits my needs.

By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am looking for a boat that is good for skiing and wakeboarding and rides good in rough water for under 30,000.

By Jamie Close (yooper) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 5:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not a big fan of I/O's, but my buddy has a Four Winns Horizon 190, with a 305 V8 and a huge swim platform. That boat is awesome! Not a bad wakeboard wake, plenty of power and a great interior. Excellent in rough water, too.
That said, I'd rather have a V-drive.

By darren vanoene (dvanoene) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 6:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
do you know anything about the moomba outback lsv?

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
v drive power and performance is awesome. i owned a four winns 190 and loved it, but still like my v drive better. if you have kids, they jump off the swim deck over and over with no worries about the prop.

By Jamie Close (yooper) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually, Darren, my next boat will probably be the outback lsv

By sean tribe (tribal) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
All depepends on what your looking for.100% wakeboarding and a v-drive would def be better.If you want to boat in rough water,etc than the i/o is the way to go.I have a 22' i/o that makes a decent wake and handles the rough perfectly.It works for me as my home lake is quite big and we go out in the ocean sometimes.I also could never afford a v-drive

By woody (bwood) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 4:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2000 Mobius V and think its an great boat.another thing about v drives is the room you have. The D drives with engine in the middle uses alot of room.

By Chris Sontag (hyperlitenrd) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
we have an 87 four winns horizon 170, its an I/O, if we get a new boat which im hoping that we will, Im tellin dad to go for the v-drive, better wake, better steering?, and we have many feet hit on the outboard part, and we have lost many a prop due to the sitting low in the water

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 3:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darren we have boarded for years behind I/O, DDrives and VDrives. The Vdrives are more expensive but definitely better for boarding. The safety of the propeller being under the boat and the smother ride in rough water makes the VDrive a good choice for us as compared to the DDrives or the I/O's.

Test drive/ski them all and choose what works best for you.

(Message edited by sprucie on August 30, 2003)

By todd vierra (lsv_doc) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Mobius lsv I got last year, did not think
I needed more, I have already added 1000lbs of fat
sack water, and always looking to get bigger. Great Boat no troubles. The
final thing needed is perfect pass, no one else
drives well enough for me. Good Luck

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darren it all depends on what you do, how often you do it, and how much you can afford. Dont think you cant get most of the advantages of a full-on wakeboard boat out of an i/o because you can. Tower, racks, perfect pass, etc. I would say the biggest advantage is the safety factor and the wake is narrower therefor easier to jump/clear/land on the down side when running longer rope lengths. The wakes behind i/o's vary widely so youll only know the i/o has a decent wake if you can ride behind it and compare it to a competition style (v-drive) wakeboard boat. If the i/o doesnt have at least the smaller V8 buy the v-drive, its that important. Oh yea before you buy it email the guys at perfect pass and make sure they have a cable that will match the engine set-up in the i/o or id stear away on that one too, it is also that important.

By sean tribe (tribal) on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 8:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
V-drives handle better in rough water?I'd love to see a v-drive wake specific boat out in the rough seas my i/o takes no way.Bob makes some good points but in imo the wider wake is an advantage to be able to do big w2w jumps and still land on a tranny.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com