BIG boat, small hype Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » BIG boat, small hype « Previous Next »
By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 9:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There hasn't been a lot of the "It's coming! It's coming!" hype over the new 23' Moomba XLV, but it's here. We got to spend some time behind a production version yesterday with the guy who designed it from the ground up--Matt Brown (a/k/a Goose). The boat is just gonna have to speak for itself, and it has a lot to say. Here's what we saw.

This boat is BIG. It's also a completely new, wakeboarding-specific design from the tracking fins to the top of the tower. There isn't a lifting strake to be seen anywhere on the hull.

This gives some perspective on how tall the hull is. The boat weighs about 4K lbs. The taller guy is Supraman, and he's 6'3".

In addition to the very sweet looking tower, what's important here is what you DON'T see. There are four 140cm boards with bindings stowed away, and not in the compartments with the three sacks. There also is room for your 48 or 64 qt cooler to stow out of the way--and lots of other stuff. The storage capacity is just HUGE--and very user-friendly.

The man behind the boat--literally and figuratively. This pic was taken at 23 mph and Matt is riding at 70' (line plus handle). The larger Gravity Games sacks are maybe 3/4 full.

The man bustin' some moves behind "his" boat. Everyone (but me) was going huge and landing way out in the flats. Even with the larger sacks and five guys on board, the 320 hp TBI engine got the boat on plane VERY quickly and effortlessly. There definitely was no need for more power.

Another shot of the wake. It was big, firm, and clean. It also had a kick right at the lip.

The wake would be outstanding at any price. The boat, however, lists for about $36K with a tower and one sack. Loaded out with full ballast and other goodies, it lists for about $40K.

If you get a chance to ride behind one, definitely take advantage of the opportunity. You'll enjoy it.

By Barry (barry) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 9:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pretty boat.. looks like it has lots of room. What motor comes stock with that puppy? I'm not too sure I like the tower.

Also, good to see ya, Mr. Fogey.. been awhile.

B-

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 9:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very respectable boat. Only things that would bother me are 1. the observers seat back looks very uncomfortable because it is blocky and straight up and down with thin padding. Also, I would have like to see a walkthru to the bow where you dont have to step all over the cusions. Also the side seats look very narrow. Might just be the picture though on the seats. The wake looks great, and I am sure the price is very approachable in the true moomba way!

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Barry, I think Matt said the base engine is a 310 hp carbureted 5.7. The boat we used had the first-level upgrade to a 320 hp TBI engine. I think there is at least one more upgrade to MPI, but I'd go with the the TBI if I were buying. After reading comments about another 23-footer, I couldn't believe how easily the XLV planed -- with a 16x18 prop, no less.

I hear ya about the tower. I guess it's a matter of individual likes. This one has some pretty sweeping curves that look cool from inside the boat. I've always liked the tower on my boat, but I kept looking at this one and thinking, "Man, this thing makes my tower look old."

I've been meaning to e-mail you. I know, that's a lame thing to say, but it's true. I hope to get around to it soon.

Andrew, you may have a point about the observer's seat. I didn't notice the seatback angle, but I sat there for only about 20 minutes. Six of us were out for about 3.5 hours, and I was comfortable sitting in various locations, including the rear-facing stadium-seating arrangement.

I thought I wouldn't like the playpen seating when I bought my boat. However, we really don't use the bow that much, while I "use" the walk-through space every time I ride because that's where I have a 900# sack hidden away. It wouldn't come close to fitting in a ski locker, and now I prefer this set-up. Walking on the vinyl hasn't hurt anything.

By Blabelmooch (blabel) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 6:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Jeff, I know it may be the because of the zoom but how come the wake looks different in the second pic (Raley)? It looks a little steeper with a smoother tranny. Either way, nice boat and a pretty good looking wake for a 23 foot boat.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 7:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blabel, now that you mention it, I think it's operator error. I was so stoked I had a case of brain fade. It looks to like the boat was starting to turn as I took the third pic, and I remember that happening a couple of times.

I guess I shouldn't give up my day job to pursue a career in sports photography.

(Message edited by fogey on August 29, 2003)

By Blabelmooch (blabel) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 8:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ahhh I see. Should have noticed that.

By Bryce (sandman) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice boat but my only gripe would be the seating as someone else pointed out. The seats look very uncomfortable compared to the ones in my Tige. Almost looks like a park bench (straight and flat)

By bill montanye (bill) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea i agree the interior looks cheap but i guess you have to save money somewhere when you put out an affordable 23ft Vdrive..if they made it any more expensive you could be in the Supra SSV or Vlx Malibu,dig ??

Now looking at the pics and not being an engineer it appears that the bottom of the boat ,the hull,looks almost identicle to my 2000 DD inboard Supra launch..It sure looks like my wake as well so if thats the case and they used the bottom mold of the Launch DD then that was smart move...

Matt and truth to that??

Good job though for the price and what you get not too bad :-)

By Porter (mikep) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow, that looks like a really impressive boat - nice wake too. I really like the design of the seat behind the driver that allows the a person to sit facing backwards.

By Matt Brown (goose) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 2:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff,

Thanks for posting your review and we appreciate the positive comments. I really enjoyed riding with you guys and I can only imagine that Chris is still smiling today. Thanks to everyone else for their feedback. I hope that everyone gets to see one of these first hand and can judge the interior for themself. I think the size of the boat is misleading in the pictures because the side seat cushions are actually 19 inches wide (compared to 14 1/2" in the LSV) and the seat cushions have 3 1/2" to 4" of foam (compared to 2 1/2" in the LSV). Bill, the hull is a brand new hull and when you see it you will notice that we actually did not use the Launch hull. We actually started from scratch on this one and when you see it you will see what I mean. As Jeff said there are no lifting strakes in the back, which allow the 23 foot to sit deeper than most big boats. I am actually heading to the lake for the long weekend and if you guys have any more questions, I will try to answer them on Tuesday. I hope everyone has a great holiday.

By Mike Morris (upupnaway) on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 6:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!! Honestly, I would love to see a pic of the wake when you have the sacs full and the max capacity in there...SIXTEEN PEOPLE!?!?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com