can I tow my boat with Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » can I tow my boat with « Previous Next »
By Jon Mitchell (jon43) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
will my 1993 ford explorer 2w drive v6 tow my boat. Ive been told it would not be a good tow vehicle because it is not a 4x4 and I could get stuck on the ramp.

please let me know your opion of this

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tow the block and a half to the ramp with a volvo s60. Works fine for that, would i go any farther with my car, no. My car is front wheel drive, and even on a wet ramp i have never had any problem. As long as your not towing on the highway and don't mind moving pretty slowly, i think you'll be ok in your car, get a tranny cooler though or you'll fry it. As a rule longer wheelbase is better too.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Depends, on the size boat. 4 wheel drive is nice, but most the time we don't even put ours into 4 wheel drive. It's only in extreme cases that we have had to use 4 wheel drive. When that happens then yes it is a must, but that might only be 1 out of 100 times and I have seen people have their buddies stand on the back bumper to help get traction in those cases with a 2 wheel drive.

So the 4 wheel drive part I wouldn't worry to much about, I would worry more about the weight of the boat and trailer and the towing capactiy the truck is rated for as the number one factor.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah I second the Tranny Cooler. You will laugh but I towed my old Ski Centurion Sport Bow Rider with a Toyota Previal mini van. But I did get a tranny cooler for it. I actually towed it up to 400 miles many times, and never had a problem on the ramp.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
4WD isn't that important. Stopping power is. Anything can tow the boat.

You're going to be putting a lot of stress on the Exploder ( I have one too for commuting ). You should realize this and be aware of it. You're going to run through a tranny and a lot of brakes.

Just be careful and take your time.

By Jon Mitchell (jon43) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I will only be towing 100 miles twice a year one direction. then it is just a few blocks to and from the boat ramp. The boat w/ trailer weighs about 3500 lb.
all though it is a short distance it is a very hilly area.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah 3500 is getting close to the limit for an Explorer. Take your time, "in my Previa it was 55 all the way" and try to tow with an empty tank of gas in the boat, and with a Tranny cooler you should be fine.

By KStateAlumni(aka Bradley Beach) (bbeach) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 11:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's not the towing part you need to worry about, its the stopping part! Get brakes on the trailer and you'll probably be fine.

By Bob (bob) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 3:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should be fine depending on the ratio in the rear end. Ive got a V8 explorer and tow around 4500 lbs to a ramp about 10 minutes away, every weekend. Like they said above make sure the trailer brakes are working good and always check the owners manual for max trlr weight too. Oh i also have a 2wd (posi) and have never needed 4wd except that one time we put it into a lake with no paved ramp, only a sand bank

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 6:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am going to go against the grain here and say that 4x4 is very improtant IMHO. I spent 3 years towing a 3500 pound boat with a 2WD Jeep Cheorkee and have a lot of stories to tell about it. However I live in Missouri and on a regular basis use very steep wet ramps. I now have a 4WD and use it almost every time I ramp in and out. Have you ever had the front wheels slide on you when you are putting the boat in? I had my boat pull me down a 40' ramp with a boat in the water behind me... no steering and the front wheels just locked up and sliding. When you use 4WD you are tieing the front and rear wheels together. I feel much safer putting a boat in when the truck is in 4WD. Pulling out in 4WD Low just seems like it puts less overall stress on the truck. Not to mention you are not the idiot at the ramp spinnig slime water all over your boat and squeeling your one tire all the way up the ramp!

The comments above about brakes are very improtant also.

By Fredrik Broen (fbroen) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out which rear axle ratio you have on the explorer, makes a huge difference in allowable towing limits. If you have the right one, itcan be as high as 5K (at least that is what the book says for our '96 4.0 V6 3.73 axle ratio), can't remember what the other limits are. Only have used the 4x4 once when towing and that was on a wet uphill lawn after a ramp at someone's house, never have come close to have to use it at an actual ramp. But yes, your trailer brakes will be your friend, especially on wet pavement.

(Message edited by fbroen on August 29, 2003)

By Scott M (scottman) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Be careful, the older 2wd explorers are not very tow friendly. We used a 92 sport to tow our fourwinns for a season and ended up replacing the transmission. At the shop replacing the atx the mechanic said "yeah, those 2wd explorers have weak trannies and are not meant for towing."

Scott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com