Pro Air vs. Super Air Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Pro Air vs. Super Air « Previous Next »
By JT (tranner) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone know what the difference between a Pro Air and a Super Air is? And would this be a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31271&item=2429260458

By Wes (pesos) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
it is a direct drive, the super is a v drive. i "think" the pro air is basically the same hull, but i'm sure others who actually know will confirm this.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i'm pretty sure the SAN has a different hull than all the other air nautiques, and its a v-drive.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Sport, Air and Super Air all shared the same hull in the past.

The Pro Air was completely different with a stepped hull and it was the only model offered with this hull.

I test drove one and was impressed with the wake with just factory ballast. However, the popularity of the Super Air wake made the regular Air and Sport models more popular. It was also very expensive, almost as much as a Super Air.

Great boat though.

By wake_fun (wake_fun) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just like they all said. The Pro Air had some big side cutouts on the hull that sucked it down into the water producing a little bit bigger wake.

#1 Question: Do you want a V-drive or a direct drive boat?

#2 Thought: A SAN will put out a bigger wake when both boats are loaded with the same weight.

#3 I bought a 1995 Nautique Super Sport because I wanted a v-drive with more room. I hate the engine in the middle of the boat.

#4 Correct Craft stopped making the Pro Air for a reason......................

By David Mason (rocketman) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 1:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The reason CC stopped making the Pro Air is because it was designed to be a wakeboard dedicated boat. However, the majority of the wakeboarders wanted the V-Drive instead, probably because of the bigger wake. It's not to say that the design is bad, but rather the market dicated otherwise. However, if somebody prefers DD (like I do), then it is a very good wakeboard boat.

I've heard that the Pro Air wake is a little rampier than the Super Air. Can't comment as I have only ridden behind an Air Nautique.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 6:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, you are correct. I test drove both in one day with stock ballast on each. This was in 2001 when they had only the #400 ballast.

The wakes were similar in size but the Pro Air wake was more like a Malibu wake with more of a ramp shape. The CC rep that was with us called it meatier.

Back then before Acme props the Super Air boats were much slower to accelerate so I liked the DD performance better.

By John Lorenz (jplorenz) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 10:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg -
you mentioned Acme props and how they accelerate better. I own a 2000 SAN that has the stock prop - O.J. I think.
My old prop is getting a little tired looking and I was thinking of changing. Do you feel the Acme is a better choice?
Thanks.
John (Oregon)

By David Mason (rocketman) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg,

You mentioned the word "meatier" which I remember that word coming from the CC 1999 brochure for the Pro Air. Somebody mentioned in an earlier thread that if you weigh down a Pro Air too much, then the stepped hull was completey under water, and that it nullifies the effect after that. Do you have any experience with that by chance? By the way- nice boat you've got. I'm with you on the quote because I'm the one who owns the boat, and I'm the worst rider.

You say you liked (past tense) the DD better. Has your opinion changed since the availability of Acme props?

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 2:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
John, no experience with Acme props but the sales rep at the dealer said they help a lot.

David, I only tested the boat with stock ballast so I have no idea. I do know that Frankinaustin (used to post here) had one that he put 2k+ lbs of weight in and seemed to be happy with the boat.

Yes my opinion of v-drives has changed in the last 4 years. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Super Sport back in 99 and then I would have effectively a Super Air now. But I do love my boat. Today we had almost 2k lbs of weight in it and the wake was killer.

By David Mason (rocketman) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 6:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I still prefer DD, but my wife wishes ours was V-drive because she would have more room to move around in. I'm not opposed to them for that reason, so we may get one someday. I think what will determine the next purchase will be what used boat can I get for a good deal.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com