swim decks for I/Os Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » swim decks for I/Os « Previous Next »
By Jon Mitchell (jon43) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 6:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
does anyone know were i can find a good swim deck for my I/O.

By Phimple (phimple) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bayliner have just started making one for their wakeboard version 205, you maybe able to get one of them....not sure how good they are.

Some people have made their own. I looked into it but found that it would be impossible as the stern leg would always hit when in the raised position.

Let me know how you go.

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why can't you put a hole in the deck where the outdrive would hit it? Then, so you don't break your ankle in the hole, you could put a box of some kind over the hole.

By matthew fiedler (blue1439) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i just put one on my boat. it turned out awesome. some boats it takes a bit of engineering. i'll try to post some pics on here soon

By matthew fiedler (blue1439) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 1:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
any questions just ask, it works very slick and its removable!!!

By Phimple (phimple) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 2:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice job.

I looked hard at mine and even made up a template to try and get it to work.
I also thought of the hole idea but it would of had to be a fairly big hole, so I thought of making a hinge that would push up the bit where the leg comes up. It still seemed like too much work. I do not have a lot of space where the leg comes up (have a look at my profile pic)... but looking at this sweet job it gets me all excited again...

Do you make the brackets yourself?

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've seen them with hinges and they work fine. Not much extra work either. They key is to use a heavy duty piano type hinge.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 7:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just mount the platform high enough to clear the motor & then add lots of weight to the back. with my 1950 the deck is about 1&1/2 inch above the water line with ballast full and a person on the back.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 11:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
matthew
In the last pic it looks like there is a trap door. But the first pic shows nothing. Is there a trap door?

Phimple
My transom has a recess for the stern drive also. What pain! I've planned and fussed about some sort of hinged arrangement but I keeping the feeling it'll be a pain.

I've been collecting pics on WW of I/O platforms and there seems to be a trend towards just mounting it high enough to clear the stern drive when it comes up.

When the board disk problem clears up, I'll post some pics of other WW members homemade I/O Platforms or I could e-mail them to you for "thinking food"

By blue1439 (blue1439) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 2:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
there is no trap door on mine. the lower unit would hit if i raised it up all the way, it has about 2 inches to go yet. when its raised up the to deck there is plenty of clearance for trailoring and loading and unloading. mercruiser actually makes trim stoppers that mount inside the hydrolic rams to limit how far u can raise it. i bought this deck of wakeworld's classifieds. its off of a 2002 mastercraft. i didnt have to do any cutting on the deck to make it fit. just altered the brackets and made a mount fot the transom of the boat. it works awesome. as far as raising the unit i have a buddy watch the deck, i made the brkts with a little play up and down so i can see when it hits and it wouldnt do any damage. let me know if u want more pics or info.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 5:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What did you add the screw eyes to the transom eyes? More strength?

I think I'm going to make my own swim deck 1. I need an odd width (41") to clear the ladder and 2. No one up here in the great white north seems to have any used ones for sale.

I think I'll make some AutoCAD layouts and a couple of cardboard templates to figure out the geometry

By Chane Eckert (chane) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 6:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an extra fiberglass platform off of my inboard if anyone is intrested..

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 6:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What size? Just curious

By chane (chane) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 6:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll measure it and take some pics tonight.. Proly close to same pictured above. Its off of my 97 American Skier.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's probably too big then. I need 41" wide.

By Jeff (ffejtable) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 4:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That platform looks sweet...

I want to put one on my Bayliner 185S, but lack sufficient funds..

By Rod (xrated) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 6:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
James: once you have the platform on your boat you will have no need for a ladder and you can go full width.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com