My new tow vehicle! Ouch! pic attached Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » My new tow vehicle! Ouch! pic attached « Previous Next »
By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So this guy rolls the Hummer 2 times out on a trail and ends up driving it for miles with 2 flat tires and damage to get back to I guess the parking lot or main road so a flatbed can come and pick it up! Hey at least he was using it off road instead of droping the kids off at school!
hummer

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
isn't an H2 just another GM SUV with extra body panels for a higher center of gravity?

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea pretty much, its on a tahoe or a suburban frame, with bigger wheels, tires, and different body panels, so off road its just like, guess what, your suburban mom's suburban

By Kevin J (windnwake) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 1:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
But doesnt it have better shocks, etc. for better off-roading. Just because it has the same frame doesnt mean it rides the same.

By Alan (tigeal) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 1:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't think better shocks are gona help this one. If they drove that thing in that condition I hope they got it on tape!

By Rob Fiege (sae4life) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 2:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A little touch up paint and a can of fix-a-flat... Good as New

By Kirk Upton (kirk) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 3:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I see a class action law suit on this one...
"We didnt know you couldnt traverse across a 60% grade... there wasnt a warning sticker on the dash telling us it wasnt safe..."

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
LOL Kirk!

By bruce walker (bruce) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 8:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What kind of mileage did he get rolling down the hill?

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 8:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
perhaps he was trying to recreate the boxcar racing commercial?

By chuck (luckychuck) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh that oughta buff out!

By Jonny Bekkestad (jonnyb) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 1:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This looks like an H1 to me and not an H2.
And the H! is not a Tahoe on a suburban frame.

By kristian coltman (kristian) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 1:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is definetly an H2.
I don't see why that guy bought an H2 to go off road when the H1 is so much better for it.

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 5:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
He couldn't afford the H1... now he can't afford insurance!

By BrianS (6more) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's if his insurance will even cover damage done while off-roading! Not every policy will, so you need to read the fine print before hitting the trails!

That would really suck :-( buying a 60k truck on credit (hey - I bet he put down 5k :-)), then taking it out wheeling and wrecking it, only to find out that your insurance won't pay! Let's hope the owner had more sense than driving skills!

By Jordan Poppa (jpoppa) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The H2 is definitely not just a suburban with different body panels. They share the same frame so they could reduce the cost to a more affordable level. It's actually a very capable off-road vehicle similar to the H1, but with lower entry and exit angles and without the independent rear suspension of the H1. All vehicles have limits and this guy definitely crossed them in the H2 and paid for it.

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 1:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
& he'll continue to pay & pay & pay ....

By gvb (gvb) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 8:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
H2's are NOT capable offroad vehicles. They are poser mall cruisers and grocery getters.

-gvb

By Danny Smylie (smylie) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
On CAR AND DRIVER they said that the H2 has 80% the capabilites of the H1.

By Cory Sellers (jaxboarder) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 10:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They werent meant to be offroad vehicles, they were designed for an urban market with offraod capabilities, while they are better than tahoes they are basically way over hyped... wranglers will smoke an h1 or h2 offroad, just not flyin down dirt roads.

By BrianS (6more) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 1:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cory - I agree that while a wrangler may outperform an H1 in some areas - you have to realize it was designed for the military and to be taken off road. Try towing a 3 ton artillery piece in the desert with your wangler. Or driving over a land mine and not losing your life because of the extra armor in the H1 floor. It might not be the best rock climber, but it certainly is one of the most durable and capable All Around off-road vehicles.

It is definitely a bigger and heavier truck than the wrangler and therefore the wranger may be better in some off road situations. But I'd personally rather be riding in a tough H1 in serious (ie when the sh*t hits the fan) situations than a featherweight wrangler. The H2 is similar in that it is designed to be a larger and heavier vehicle than the wranger.

By Cory Sellers (jaxboarder) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 1:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i meant on a strictly offroad performance basis. No question that the hummer is a better vehicle, I was never questioning that in the least bit. My wrangler is fun to drive and is incredible offroad, but I have put it up on 2 wheels multiple times and ive done 360s on the road in wet conditions, so I have to agree that i would rather be in a larger heavier vehicle.

By alan behr (behrfoot) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"My old man's a television repair man. He's got this ultimate set of tools.
I can fix it !!!"
-Jeff Spiccoli

By AL (hack4life) on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 6:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The H2 is a very capable off-road vehicle. I worked on the developement of the vehicle and know its contents. Yes it uses an GM frame but the suspension, driveline and brakes are completely different and are not made for "mall crusing". Jeeps, H1, H2, land rovers all have there strong areas and weaknesses. At the AM General proving grounds the H1 and H2 came in first and second against everything else (jeeps, landcrusiers,Rovers) but this is because it was laid out for the Hummers. Wide trails over extreme Rocks and mud. I've also tested Jeeps at the Chrysler proving grounds and found them very capable too. Don't make this tread another "boat war". These vehicles are for real.

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 7:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I question the H1's durability. A friend of mine owns two of them. One turbo diesel, and one diesel. Both have new engines in them. The 6.5 GM diesel that they put in those things is crap. When I asked why he has two, his response was because one was always broken. He even went as far as hiring the Hummer mechanic away from the dealership. Granted, his mechanic does more at work than fix the Hummers, but it does seem that one or the other is always broken.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
"Don't make this tread another "boat war". These vehicles are for real."

for real moms and spoiled children

By shane (auto) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 5:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gm's 6.5 TD is the last thing I would want in my driveway.

By J.R. Allen (wildkatsarz) on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 7:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Quote from good ole Joe Dirt, "That Sh*t will buff out"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com