boat storage Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » boat storage « Previous Next »
By joe sprague (joeysprague) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 5:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For those of you who store your boat outside, what do you use beyond the boat cover? A plastic tarp, although it's hard to use given the tower is in the way? I can't seem to find an eractable easy-up or awning that is tall enough. I live in Santa Barbara CA, so the weather is not that brutal, but I would like some protection. Word.

By Scott Yvarra (scott44) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cosco 20'x10'awning with complete sides back and zipper front about $200

By Kyle (caliwakeboarder) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 7:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What Up Joe... I was just at costco yesterday. They had that 20x10 for $199. You can also put sides on it. You will have to fold down your tower to get it under. Also you will probably have to get the OK from the storage people.

By joseph poslosky (jposlosky) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 8:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was looking at the Costco awning myself but being limited on land to drop it on decided against it. Found indoor storage,,,,,,$289 a month, forget that Idea...Finally was talking to my Mastercraft dealer, for $15 a foot they will basically "shrink wrap" your boat. This is basically similar to how your boat gets deliverd from the factory in a plastic cocoon. That price also includes a winter prep and summer prep as well as plastic breather vents to remove on the nicer days to get some air flow under there to help reduce any mold and some dessicant inside the boat. Anyone have any experience with this?

By chuck (luckychuck) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 9:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i got a buddy who has this tent or mabey it is
like this big air bag. unzip it, roll the boat in
zip it up. turn two little fans in the back. the thing is so cool it even has a slip in door for access. any one else seen this?

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 5:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm told if you're careful when you remove it, you can reuse the shrinkwrap a couple of times. I found indoor heated storage for 350/winter. Spoiled!

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
350 per month, that is higher than my boat payment...... in fact that is 1/2 of my mortgage.

I have seen storage here for $150 per month and think that is too high. I put mine in the showroom at the dealership.

By sean tribe (tribal) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 7:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can use the tower to help support the tarp in an a-frame over the boat.This works great as it instantly sheds all snow [probably not a prob for you] and water.

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 7:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've gone the shrink wrap route in the past & it does work well. We live in a very dry climate, so mildew wasn't an issue. They say the breather vents allow for that, I just don't know how well it would do in a damp climate. I'd just say that if you do the shrink wrap thing, make completely sure that your boat is bone dry before you have it done. FWIW, I wouldn't try to reuse it.

I think Mitch meant $350 for the whole winter, not per month.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I owuld just make sure that there are no low spots in the cover and make sure all the straps are tight. I leave my boat out all year long and never have a problem with mildew or rainwater getting in the boat. In Santa Barbara/ Ventura area, it seems to be a little overkill for the shrink wrap, and then what if you decied to take it out one day?

By NoneYa (noneya) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There area couple of "portable" garages @ Overtons:

http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/pdetail.cgi?95710DS++

Dont know why but if you click on the link it doesnt work but if you cut and paste it does...you can also search for "garage"

(Message edited by noneya on August 27, 2003)

By James Taylor (sbayboarder) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 3:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Have you checked out the storage covers for RVs? I have seen a few RVs under tarps and I am thinking my Tower will fit in there. Just an idea, I like to be able to get in and out of my boat even during the winter months. Boat maintaince, stereo upgrades and other things. I have seen those blow up boat covers at the SF boat show in the cow palace. It is not make for a boat with a tower. However if you fold down your tower I thing it will work. but correct me if I am wrong those things are pretty expensive. I remember 2k for them, although I may be wrong, but hey your boat does look cool in one of those baloons.

By bruce walker (bruce) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is what we have and it works great. The left side is boat storage, the right front is an office, the and right rear is a shop with sliding barn doors on each side. When I need more room under cover I pull the boat out. There is a loft above the office for ski equipment with access from the boat.

By joe sprague (joeysprague) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks for all the input. i'm over the shrink wrap thing, but that's good to know. i also looked at Overton's site and the erectable canopies and shelters, they seem a little flimsy and also do not have sides or some kind of front door that zips. also, i have not taken an official measurement, but from the top of the tower to the ground, wouldn't it be more than 10 feet on the average wakeboard boat. most canopies seem only to go 10 feet tall.

By Ralph (butter) on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 11:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Boat storage is the the first thing a newbie forgets to add to their budget. First, the cover has to breathe(like gortex)so no vinyl or plastic covers strapped tightly on,except maybe during the duration of a hard rain.Sunbrella material works really good but it does stretch a little. As for mildew, overtons has a little something that works good for that or a simple light bulb in the engine compartment works fine.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com