A few more VLX questions…? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » A few more VLX questions…? « Previous Next »
By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK… I had to check out the VLX after hearing rave reviews of SteveAZ’s Bu from the Lake Samm crew members that made it to Shasta in July. I have looked over the other recent posts on the VLX. I have “buy in” from the boss on the idea of a new ride so we are doing some shopping now…

Can you fit boards in the back next to the ballast tanks? I tried a 142 without bindings and could not get one to fit. If so what size boards?

Can you fit a 12” enclosed sub at the drivers feet? Is the heater or any other stuff behind the false wall in the way? Any pics?

Does the textured pattern (holes) on the vinyl make it harder to keep it clean than smooth vinyl? I assume you can order it either way.

Any pics of the telescoping pylon yet? Can you order a new VLX with out a pylon?

Wedge or no wedge? For those without… how much extra weigh are you running in addition to the stock ballast?

For those with a Titan tower… any pics of a tower with 4 sets of racks?

Engine recommendations…?

Sorry for the long post… no sales reps were available so I figured I could rely on WW for answers.
Thanks.

By Dave Covington (damnation) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sub at driver's feet = Yes

Textured interior = No problems

No wedge on my boat - I use 2500 lbs total ballast for a GREAT wake. Wedge will put a lip on the wake and make it more vert.

Engine - Can't go wrong with the Monsoon. I think they are up to 340 hp? for '04.

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What's the listed weight of the stock ballast tanks and center locker bag?

Dave, just checked you profile pic... nice boat. how did you get racks in the back??? Are you using lead or water in the front? Seems like you could not fit much in the narrow walkway. Full sack would be to wide.

By Dave Covington (damnation) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks. The racks in the back are Skylon racks. I really like them! I'm not sure if Skylon sells the mounting bracket or not. They are bolted through the gunwale. I'm using lead in the bow. The only sacks I run (with the exception of the MLS walk-thru sack) are in the rear next to the hard ballast tanks. I use the Letsgoride 500 lb V-drive sacks.

The MLS should be 900 lbs (at least it was for 2002 and I don't think it has changed since).

By Lucky Charms (lchamaschuk) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 1:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can't even fit my Trip 33 in the back storage locker. It's a pain.

The vinyl is no problem to keep clean. Don't know if you can order it either way - don't think it's an option (only color).

The Titan tower is great - very strong, and like how it folds down. Sorry, we only have 1 rack.

We went for the wedge, so that we would have more options in terms of wake. It makes it more vertical and not everyone likes that.

Monsoon is great.

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 1:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get the Wedge. It will give you very good flexability in wakeshape and I personnally love it.

Add weight up front. Put about 220 lbs per side by the engine. Then put a full sack up front and we put two more little sacks that fill up the storage under the seats in the bow. So, maybe 400 to 500 lbs up front. The stock ballast is 900 total. Sometimes I fill the rear tanks and then give them a 30 count or drain to help the boat plain better with about 6 people in the boat. The boat can handle the weight up front just fine. Also, I have the wedge down in this configuration.

If it is not standard yet, get the bulster (sp?) seat option and do not forget perfect pass. I wish I had a little more engine in mine (stock 325 hp). I ride at 24 mph and the wake is still very big.

Have fun....

By Cunning Linguist (jro) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The vinyl can be ordered either way. The pylon looks exactly like the new throttle knob and is really trick. Personally I would get the wedge. I also don't think you need more weight in the boat for a good wake. I just saw a pic of a titan with 4 racks (Two were on top) and it looked okay.

By Lucky Charms (lchamaschuk) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 2:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
PS. If you decide not to get the wedge now, it can be added later, but there will be an additional cost because they have to cut into your swimstep to make the flip-up access panel.

By Scotty D (jinxton) on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dude your too much, we'll probably be riding in the new Reese boat soon. If you test one I want to come along!!!

By John W. Smith (mountainman) on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 9:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The rear board racks on Dave's VLX are very practical.

By Chad Miranda (forwaken) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 6:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dave Do you have trouble with your bindings hiting between the top and bottom racks on your tower. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

I have the telescoping pylon and right now it
is in the shop getting fixed. (Really hard to make it telescope) Hopefully mine is an isolated problem.

By Dave Covington (damnation) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 11:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chad, I don't have any problems with bindings hitting. However, I use the rear racks mostly, so there are usually only a few boards on the tower racks.

I would get the wedge depending on the price difference. The way they are doing accessories these days it is almost the same price with the wedge as without. It would be nice to have that option if you ever wanted it. I used the wedge on my Sunsetter all the time before I got the Wakesetter.

By ryan m (pans210) on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 8:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
here is a link to a titan tower with 4 racks. http://forums.wakeboarder.com/files/picture_395.jpg

By Phil Veit (bigjackamo) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 2:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dane? Dane? Anyone? Dane?

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 4:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get the Silver Package, that way you get a deal on the sony stereo with 2 remotes and the wedge.

By Cass (cwshumsky) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 5:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
holy crap dave that thing looks like a porcupine! are your tower speakers facing forward? i guess that would give those pesky fishermen fair warning! great boat!

By Dave Covington (damnation) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 5:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cass, that is the most original one I've heard yet! Haha, porcupine. Yeah, there are two 6.5s facing forward.

By Sean M (magic) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff, I'd love to take a ride behind a new BU...

Might want to find some local folks that that dealt with Bake's. I have never ever heard anything good about their service department. Quite a few horror stories about dirty interiors, tears and nicks on the outside of the boat after being serviced there. Repairs not being made correctly and boats going back in several times for the same thing.

Also, they can not even figure out LC's (Gramps) perfect pass. I think that he has spent all most as much with Bake's on trying to get that to work as it cost.

They do think that I bought a boat from them and give me discounts when I buy stuff from them...

By shawn d scott (shawn_scott) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 9:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dave do you ever work. the boat looks good. Jeff take a look at my boat on flip sell. Malibu puts out a good wake. Just drove the new lsv in a tourament big boat, BIG wake.

By Dave Covington (damnation) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Haha shawn. Not too much work to do lately. You should see the sub box I put in the boat, real nice!!! :-) Kim just emailed me the pictures of your new boat WOW!!! One of the best looking wakeboard boats that I've ever seen!

PS - I couldn't find your boat on flipsell.

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can fit two 12's if you're creative. Get the Wedge, and the Hammerhead if you can afford it. You'll have to replace the rear tanks with sacks if you want to store boards back there. For the answer to this, and every other concievable Malibu questions, head over to MBO.

Pylon Up:

Pylon Down:

Shift Knob:

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 4:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cool, thanks for the pic Jason, I am never gonna see mine in person.....First of all the boat I ordered in June didn't actually get ordered at the TN plant until mid July (with the holiday and the fact that all bu orders go to Cali then get the proper factory. So that delays my boat for about a week, then the custom trailer I ordered on June 30th, which both I and the dealer have been talking to the owner of the Company since mid June, he says now that he never got the official order until July 31st, and there is no way possible the trailer will be done next week. So maybe I will have a boat by the time it SNOWS IN SOUTH CAROLINA!!!!!! I am so frustrated that I picked up a trader yesterday and started looking for an 01-02 Nautique Team Air. No, I didn't find one so I guess I will stick with this VLX order, but I have really gotten the shaft on this (time wise not price wise) and inefficiencies have basically ruined my summer. School starts Monday for my son.

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 5:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
By the way, here is a pic of my VLX. Also, I ordered color above the rub rail that somehow got dropped in the manufacturing process, no big deal but you would think I would get it the way I ordered it, especially since it is taking 6 weeks to get.

vlx

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok… Finally got to both drive and ride behind an 04 VLX. Thanks David. I LIKE IT!

Anyone know where I can pick out the colors now? The Bu web site still has the 03 stuff but no 04’s.

Any photo shop pros… please help. I am thinking some combo of red and white… gotta match the Tahoe.

By PJ (peeejay) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 3:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
heres mine pre stereo
i need a couple more racks also

the 12
the baddest 1 ive seen
with the boss tower 03

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 7:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can use the '03 KolorSpec to pick gel patterns as those haven't changed for '04 (the only difference is the decal).

A boat like aneal's would look good in red.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com