Cobalt 232 WSS & 242 WSS Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through July 28, 2009 » Cobalt 232 WSS & 242 WSS « Previous Next »
By Hangar Pilot (jpuckett) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone seen these boats? They have a comparison stern drive vs inboard on the website.

http://www.cobaltboats.com/comparison/wakes.html

Can it be any truth to this?

By daniel (cowwboy) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 2:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got my popcorn ready....

By Patrick (jetskiprosx) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are one of the best teak surfing boats out there

All kidding aside, I think Cobalt's are the nicest I/O out there! Their build quality are up there with major inboard makers.

By Bret (wakeride26) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 3:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I sell Cobalt and I think it is funnier than hell that they put that crap on there website. It humors me every time I see it.

By Nacho (denverd1) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 3:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nope.

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 3:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gorgeous boats but one thing I hate about stern drives is they always seem to do the dual captains up front rather than wrap around which costs a few seats.

The funny thing about these comparisons is you never really see the reverse where and inboard is trying to say it's just as good as a stern drive...hmmm wonder why?

By Bill K (bill_airjunky) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 4:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great boats for riding SkySki behind when it's choppy out. Nice wake & a very steady pull..... like many I/Os with adjustable trim & trim tabs can give you.

A friend of mine down in SoCal has an X-Star & an older 24' Cobalt with a tower on it. They ride on the Parker Strip a lot where conditions can be really good or really bad. Depending on what the conditions are like, they use the appropriate boat. Their Cobalt is like a 2005, has maybe 1000 lbs of ballast, trim tabs & the trimmable outdrive. If water conditions are crap, he can load it up with people, and give a rock solid steady pull to anyone who can handle it. A foil rider can ride above the chop & not be effected very much, especially if the tower & handle are steady. But I doubt many boarders have the knees to handle those conditions.

By Murphy Smith (murphy_smith) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 4:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can put as much lipstick as you want on a pig...at the end of the day, it's still a pig.

By Michael Hunter (mhunter) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 4:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cobalt is absolutely the finest runabout out there . That being said if you want a boat that goes,fast handles a chop and is very user friendly with a great interior layout Cobalt is the boat for you. If you are interested in water sports go with an inboard or v drive. They are made to pull NO io will compete with an inboard.
You cant surf or barefoot with a io. I owned one years ago I will never go back. If you want something that compares with Cobalt look at a
Nautique 210 and 230 SANTE they share the same high build quality.

By aaron (alindquist) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 5:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sweet boat...Cobalts rule!!! At least last time I looked in my driveway...

By Bill K (bill_airjunky) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 5:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cobalts may compare with Nautique in build quality, but they do not even begin to compare in ride quality when conditions get rough. Not even close.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on July 14, 2009)

By Michael Hunter (mhunter) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 6:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill are you saying Colbalt or Nautique rides better in rough conditions?

By tj (tj_in_kc) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you HAD to get an I/O it wouldn't be as bad if it was a Cobalt, very nice boats.

I think we'd all take a Malibu, MC, Tige or Nautique anyday over that though.

still good boats.

By Kidder (kidder) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill is right. Cobalts ride MUCH better than Nautiques when the water gets rough.

By Bill K (bill_airjunky) on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 8:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm saying the Cobalt will ride better in the rough. It just has too many ways to defeat it, deep V hull, trim tabs, adjustable outdrive, & ballast. The end result is a stable handle when it's rough out. Any v-drive is going to bounce around a bit over the waves, which makes the tower move, which makes the handle move. So when I go up for a back roll with a tight line, and the boat moves over the waves, it can either yanks me out the front or go dead so I have no tight line to make adjustments with & land upright.
The Nautiques are great compared to all the other inboards, but I just think the I/Os have a lot more ways to beat the rough water. That said the I/Os don't have as good a wake because they don't respond to the weight in the same way as the v-drives. I'm just saying the Cobalt would be a really stable rough water ride. And about the only type of rider that can handle the rough water is a foil rider, either stand up or sit down.

By Michael Hunter (mhunter) on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 6:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill
I agree with you and tj.I have always said if I ever get out of my tow boat and want a cruiser I would buy a Colbalt.

By Paul (psudy) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 8:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
As an owner of both a cobalt and a vdrive, I can say there is a reason we park the cobalt and board off the back of it with the Vdrive. Its a great boat for what it does best. Cruising,and rough water ride.

(Message edited by psudy on July 20, 2009)

By AtTheLake (bmartin) on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn down a set behind one. Can't figure out why they still have a co-captain chair layout for a watersport series, but I digress.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com