|So my family just sold our boat on the 4th. Great because we no longer have to worry about having a boat stuck on our hands, bad because we don't have a replacement boat yet. |
Right now we have two options available to us, a 2009 that can be delivered immediately or a 2010 that will take 5-6 weeks to be delivered. The '09 is about $2000 cheaper, and the '10 will have exactly the same features/options/design.
The question now is, should we jump into the '09 as our season starts to cool by late August, or wait for the 2010 because it may have greater value due to its newer model year....
|What kind of boat? MasterCraft has a new dash coming out for 2010.....|
|It's a Sanger V237. Getting it for its surf wave.|
|Wait for the 2010.|
|Is it the Surf Series?|
|Ya, it is the surf series, fully loaded. Gonna be a sick boat, but I'm missing the glass water right now!|
|Sweet! it will be tough to let the summer go by unless you can ride on someone's boat for now. Are they dealing on 10's these days?|
|Tell me about it, I've been staring at the water for the past five days. The lake I'm on is usually rough most of the day, but for some reason it has been dead calm this whole week....... |
I'm not sure why they are making 2010's now, they are exactly the same as the '09s... or that is at least what my dealer has led me to believe.
|All manufactures are starting production on 2010 boats. |
For a 2 grand difference I would go 2010, if it was 6 to 8 grand difference I would go 2009.
|I would see if you can get him to deal you the 2009. 2k difference doesn't even account for the depreciation of being a year older once you get a couple years down the road.|
|I'm fairly confident a better deal can be had on the 2009, but what's a good separation in price between two consecutive model years? |
Obviously 2k isn't enough, but anyone able to comment on how quickly unused boats depreciate?
|I would think at least 5k.|
|2010 but you could probably work harder for more of a 09 discount I would think? |
Seeing that your a billion miles away, I don't think you could get in Cali for tow this evening?
I will be thinking of you
|I wouldnt waste your summer if the 09 has the colors/options you like. What could be worth the time waiting for the 10? A couple grand to have one now seems good to me.|
|If you are looking at a leftover 2009, you should be able to get a much larger discount than a 2010. Times are tough right now and many dealers are giving incredible deals on leftover 2009s if you know how to work a deal and can be a little patient. |
That is how I got my 2009 SAN 230.
|DUDE! Lucky bastard thats my next boat and dream boat. I couldn't wait but grind em down another 2k to 4 and do it.|
|I would highly doubt the 2010 will gain you more than $2000 in resale. I would think you could negotiate for the next 3 weeks and come out ahead on both dynamics (cost and time).|
|Good choice on the boat for starters.If I had a surf edition staring me down I don't think I could pass on it but the 2010 would be a smarter move if your looking to trade in or upgrade within a year or two.If your going to keep it for a while taking good care of it helps more than anything.|
|"The lake I'm on is usually rough most of the day, but for some reason it has been dead calm this whole week....." Cause you're not surfing!!!|
|Serious, this lake is just laughing! |
I'm gonna have to call up this dealer tomorrow and get a bigger discount on that '09. I'll get that '09 just in time for the white caps to return.
|Since you surf, make sure you get the cats on the engine. I would base the decision on that|
|We're having the 350 CAT DTS, that puts out 330HP, installed. I'm hoping this will be good. Our last boat had a 340HP Indmar and it seemed like it did the job. |
Do you have any experience with the Merc CAT engines Chris?
|On average I have seen these types of boats book out for about 3-5K less every year. All you have to do is look up a 3 year old sanger on NADA and then do the same for a 4 year old Sanger with the same options and that tells you what you earned by watching that glass from the shoreline. |
The difference in model years gets less the longer you keep the boat.
Then you know how much gain you get if you wait for the 2010.
|I'd tell the dealer you will buy the 09, with the condition he will take it in trade for a 2010 in 5-6 weeks minus whatever amount you agree. I would pay an extra two thousand for the use of a boat until mine came in.|
|If your worried about resale, then go with the 2010. It will make a difference in the price, plus people will buy the 2010 because it's a newer model (regardless of changes). |
I sold my boat last summer, and went without a boat for 6 weeks, it was torture....until I picked up my V237! Love the boat, even without the surf package.
|Hey Dan, |
The boats are from two different dealers. The '09 in the States, and the '10 in Canada.
Awesome boat. I rode behind a non-surf '08 237 and was sold as soon as I saw the wave, and the small amount of weight needed to make it.
|We are looking at getting the surf package trim tabs added to our '08, just to make it that much better! I only put 1000lbs on the ride side and the wake is perfect.|
|Ya I can't wait for that. I was running near 3000 in my last boat, and the wave didn't even compare to the V237's|
|Andrew - Yes I put 150 hours on each of my 07 and 08 and now working on 09 engines with CATs. I cannot say enough and am the biggest fan absolutly no issues in the 3 years |
Fuel economy is unquestionably better because it not running so rich. No smell especially in the boat that always drove me nuts. Extra bonus Its the right thing to do the green thing.