Can I use a capacitor in my boat? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through July 28, 2009 » Can I use a capacitor in my boat? « Previous Next »
By Kyle (Slingshot) (kylenautique) on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 3:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I heard that if you use a stereo capacitor in a boat, they won't last very long because the boat is grounded only to the battery. Is this true?

By Topsidemarine (topside_marine) on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 4:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't believe that would be supported by current electrical theory since the definition of ground means that you ultimately have to come back to the battery to complete the circuit.

By Murphy Smith (murphy_smith) on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 4:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not sure, but that does not sound right.

Why do you want to add a capacitor?

By Eric (wakeboardin2k4) on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 4:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well the battery is grounded to the block. Which is of equal ground strength as anything in your car.

By John Bauer (jonyb) on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 7:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A capacitor is pretty worthless in a boat IMO.

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 10:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It really depends on the wiring and the batteries. If your sub amp is trying to pull more than these systems are capable of delivering instantaneously then a cap will help. If not, then it is a waste of money. Many car wiring systems suffer from such deficiencies that's why they are popular in cars.

By Kevin Hoye (wakebrdr38) on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
mine went out before I ever got to use the damn thing. Condensation formed one morning on it, and that was that.

By David_E_M (david_e_m) on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 10:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kyle,

Since a capacitor only provides instantaneous reserves to meet peak transients, I've always considered it to be of some esoteric value only in systems where the voltage is good. In a boat where you're often running below an optimum voltage, especially when at rest, I don't see a real benefit.

David
Earmark Marine

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com