Walters V-Drive Noise Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through July 28, 2009 » Walters V-Drive Noise « Previous Next »
By Sandy (puamana) on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 11:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
After reading another thread I thought I'd throw this out there.

My brand new boat runs great but there is a noise present at between 2600 and 2900 RPM's.

My first diagnostic was that it was the skag or fins cutting through the water as the boat picked up speed but now it appears that it's the v-drive.

It is only present during the previously stated RPM and is not present at any other RPM.

The noise like a medium to high pitched howling sound. There is no vibration and the fluid is fine.

Since I just detected it, I tried calling Walters yesterday but they were closed for the holiday.

Any idea what it might be.

By trace (trace) on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 6:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What makes you think it's the Vdrive? I really doubt that's the source - they are extremely simple and built like tanks. I've never even heard of one failing.

What does it sound like?

Maybe a small ding in the prop?

By Sandy (puamana) on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 7:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It sounds like a humm or a high pitched howling sound. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't failed at all and the prop is straight and true and so is the shaft!

By Trevor Dean (drilldaddy78) on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My main experience with noises like that come mostly from drilling rig engines and drive units but sounds like it may be a berring. That is a common diagnostic for whining at specific rpms. What berring im not sure. There are a few in the tranny and in the v-drive unit as well

By 1boarder_kevin (1boarder_kevin) on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 8:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
CNC props will sometimes whine at a certain rpm. They are balanced but somehow they hit a resonance. Try putting a different prop and see if it this or as mentioned above you may have put a small ding in your prop. Either way testing a new prop will eliminate the prop.

By trace (trace) on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does it go away with or without ballast? If so, probably just some resonance in the prop.

By Joe (jjgag60) on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had the same noise, after I had a prop redone. I had to take it back and have the edges ground square so it was sharp not rounded over. The noise or whistle went away.

By Ric Abernathy (ricabernathy) on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 8:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine makes a wirring sound from 1000 to 1200 rpm.. donno what it is tho, it dosent sound like anything is wrong, I just assumed thats the way it was saposed to be

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com