Trailer Brakes Surge vs. Electric Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through July 28, 2009 » Trailer Brakes Surge vs. Electric « Previous Next »
By Don Christman (ktm525) on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 4:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have read may sites and forums where this has come up. I have surge brakes now. I have had electric in the past on a non boat trailer. I like the electric better. I also know Fulton makes a marine grade electric brake system, it is rated for salt water, so fresh is no a problem. What opinion do you have and have you used electric brakes on on boat trailer and with what success.
Thanks again for any advice.

(Message edited by ktm525 on June 30, 2009)

(Message edited by ktm525 on June 30, 2009)

By Phatboypimp (phatboypimp) on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 6:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
IMO, there is no reason to blend water and electricity. I have sold both hydraulic and electric brake systems and there is really no comparison on performance, maintenance and durability.

The way electric trailer brakes work is by running electricity through a magnet and that magnet pulls itself along the drum and expands the pads. If that drum gets rusted or too wet, you wont have a great connection and they are prone to failure. Most electric brakes are used on utility trailers and travel trailers which dont typically have a ton of weight in them. They don't even compare performance-wise with hydraulic disc brakes.

What is the issue that you have with the surge brakes?

By David Christman (lfrider92) on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 6:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
im posting for my dad, and we have no brakes when backing down a long launch ramp, we have to depend on the truck for all the stopping power. there is a guy on the sea ray forum site, and he has a 30 footer, and he has electric brakes, and he puts it in salt water, he has then on for 2 years and has had no issue

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com