Sterndrive leaking oil Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Sterndrive leaking oil « Previous Next »
By Michael (mikef9844) on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 5:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My 1984 Mercruiser 3.8L V6 sterndrive is leaking oil from the back. I just noticed this today and it leaked a very small puddle over a 12 hour period. Its leaking from the little brown piece in the picture. What is this and how can it be fixed? Also, will it be ok to run for a few days, it seems like a small leak and I just added some more.

[URL=http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backlfv.jpg][IMG]

By cosmocat (treycleaton) on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 7:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's ok to run for a few days, but you should get it fixed. It's probably a seal in your outdrive unit. Think about the nasty stuff that will do to the water. Do the right thing and fix it sooner than later. Aside from the tree-hugging, you don't want lake water in your components.

By rodney (azwakekid) on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 9:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
it looks like the shifting linkage. but the picture is blurry so im not so sure. but if it is its just a little seal that needs to be replaced. any shop could take care of it for you with in a day.

By jimmy (reachjims) on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah it looks like shift linkage or your speedo tube hook-up, but that wouldn't be leaking unless something in the lower unit was leaking.

By JUST-IN-TIME (justintime) on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
post a better pic please
drain the lube and see if there is water

By coz (coz) on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 5:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Could be the o-ring between the upper & lower unit. When I had an i/o it started leaking and it was the tiny o-ring. Found the right size at home depot for 12 cents, put it in and it never leaked again.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com