Close off vents? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Close off vents? « Previous Next »
By Jon Hunter (hunter660) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
While pulling the old stereo equipment out of my boat I noticed neither of the vent hose coming of the opening in from of my windshield were connected to the hole in the floor.

Now that I have installed new amps I am partial cover the hole on the port side and my sub box will partly cover the hole on the starboard side.

What is the propose if the vents? Can I close them off? My only other idea is to reduce the 3" drier hose type line to a 1-1/2" hose and drop that into the hole in the floor. Any ideas?

By Sam (wake1823) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
thoase vents provide ventalation ( think fume build up) to your bilge and back into yrou engine compartment. Keep them.

Rememebr this is nto liek a car that has lots of ventalation. In a boat you are in essence putting a motor in a sealed box

By WakeMikey (wakemikey) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ya you need those vents and they need to be hooked up with 3"

By Art (rallyart) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You REALLY do need those vents a 1.5" hose has less than 1/4 of the airflow of a 3" hose.

By chris (rio_sanger) on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keep them open!
Those vents are there for a reason, to let your bilge breathe.
It would be similar to blocking off the grill of a car or truck.

By Michael Bouchard (mbouchard) on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 5:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
not only is it a good idea - it is the law - two intake and two exhaust vents - coast guard regulations for inboards.

By Jon Hunter (hunter660) on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks. I'll work on a solution.

By salty87 (salty87) on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
build a hose into your box and let it flow thru

By Jon Hunter (hunter660) on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 6:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think I can make it work on the sub side.

Here is what I am working with on the other side.

Upload

I think I'll get the largest 90deg that will fit in the hole and run it up to the vent.

By Art (rallyart) on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can use PVC, or any type, pipe instead of flexible hose.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com