Boatmate snapped weld Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Boatmate snapped weld « Previous Next »
By Nick H (kstateskier) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone ever have the weld on their winch break like this? '03 Boatmate, noticed it as I pulled into the garage tonight. Don't know when it happened, but it's never been hit extremely hard. I always thought this looked like a weak winch bracket. Sorry for the fuzzy pic.

Upload
Upload

By Ash (stuntmonkey) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That break looks too clean across the bottom, the weld obviously hasn't gone up high enough to grab the bottom of the winch bar,

By lowend (lowend) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 7:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah I agree with Ash. Weld looks about half an inch off.

By Brandon (yubasanger) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That piece is "U" shaped and broke at the point where it was bent in a break. Nothing to do with the weld. The weld only holds the "U" to the piece of square tubing. Looks like it needs some gussets or a plate welded to the legs to limit the lateral movement. Lateral movement is more than likely what caused the metal to fatigue at the bend. Bends are the weak point because the metal stretches and thins at bends.

By John Gardner (roverjohn) on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Judging by the rust that break has been there for some time.

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nick

I doubt boatmate would cover it but you could always call Owen http://www.boatmatetrailers.com/

By Jerry Jones (jerrybmt) on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nick,
Feel free to contact me and I'll be glad to help you with this.
Thanks,
Jerry
jerry@boatmatetrailers.com

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 7:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Now that is some service!
Ya never know who is reading the fourm
Way to step up Jerry!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com