Prop removal Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Prop removal « Previous Next »
By Neil Spencer (neilspen) on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have never removed a prop off an inboard before. just wondering what was needed and the easiest way to do it. thanks for the help.

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 6:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
prop puller, big wrench, hammer and a pair of gloves. Its very easy to do seriously I did mine in no time flat and I have no special mechanical skills.

By VLX Envy (cavlxenvy) on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with the above but if you are removing a good prop, I would suggest a rubber mallet.

By jay (ironj32) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i've found that having a small 2x4 (maybe a foot long) is nice to have with as well. helps hold the prop in place if she's really on there. you'll also maybe want to have an extra cotter pin with you, just in case.

By pete c (saceone) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
just get the ACME puller kit. I got one last year after wrecking 2 props.There's no way I'm taking the boat out if the acme case (with a spare prop inside) isn't in the boat. like the other guys said, all you need is a pair of gloves and a 12'' 2X4 to lock the prop in place while you undo the nut. the kit comes with a big wrench, pliers(I think) extra cotter pins. I call it the weekend saver :-)

By Jon Hunter (hunter660) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How often do you guys go trough props? Do you change them in the water?

By Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a harmonic puller. very simple.

By Art (rallyart) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got my Acme prop case with Harmonic puller from Karl at boarditup. http://www.boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=345

By salty87 (salty87) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 7:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
leave the nut barely threaded on the shaft, the prop can pop off and go flying otherwise.

i also wedge a piece of wood, between prop and prop cage to stop it from spinning.

By Neil Spencer (neilspen) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do yall use a torque wrench to tighten the prop shaft nut and what torque what would u recommend? Thanks for the help.

By Mike (mike3500) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 8:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buy my boat! It comes with a prop kit!

By jason callen (westsidarider) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 9:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
no you dont want to torque it. too much pressure.

jon hunter- you change the prop when it gets hit by something in the water, usually logs or bottom in shallow water. doesnt always need changed. you have to bend one of the blades or really have a big ding in it to really notice it. a bad prop can cause your motor to come out of alignment and cause serious problems.

By pete c (saceone) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
^^jason, I have to disagree. Last summer I hit a small rock at the ramp early in the morning and the prop had very minor damage (you couldn't tell from 10ft back) and I knew something was wrong , it was shaking a bit. We still drove the boat 4-5 hrs on that day..

and I don't know about changing the prop in the water...it's gotta be freaking hard.

By D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keep the nut on a few turns, when it gives it's a 15 lbs rocket!

By Trevor (tofasttoslow) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 1:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is very easy. Trick is you want to loosen the nut on the prop shaft dont take it all the way off yet. Then use the prop wrench, this way the nut will protect the prop from flying off and dinging up.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com