Underwater Rope??? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Underwater Rope??? « Previous Next »
By Bob L (bob_l) on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a floating jet ski dock (don't get mad that I also own a jet ski) and could not stand the way it was anchored. I had some pilings put in and want to secure it with either coated wire rope/cable OR with ropes (in all 4 corners). The problem with the coated cable is I will need to remove it a few times a year when the water rises and un-bolting wire rope clips can be a pain. The other option is to tie the corners off with rope. Any ideas on a good type of rope that will last a few seasons while underwater (part of it will always be below the water line).

By DeltaGlassSeeker (bftskir) on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
chain or cable should ensure your dock does not dissappear...any kind of rope could fail after a season or two depending on conditions, winds, currents, etc...then again poly e rope might work and last just fine...how much do you want to spend? how much is the dock worth...its mostly a question of money/risk

By Bob L (bob_l) on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Price is not that big a deal. I am only talking about 25 TOTAL feet of rope. 3/16 should be plenty strong (if I go the coated wire rope route). The floating dock cost $1800.

When hurricane Gustav hit last year, the water came up to fast for me to get it un-mounted and moved so after a few repairs, I am taking the opportunity to re-mount.

By Art (rallyart) on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Use a braided 100% nylon rope. It has the best strength and durabliity when wet. I doesn't have to be really expensive.
How it is connected will determine it's life. The wear there is much more severe so you could use a cable loop to wrap the rope around the connection points.

By Bob L (bob_l) on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Delta and Art for the ideas.

By Whoa Nellie (whoanellie) on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 8:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out TideMinders. Then you don't have to worry about changing water levels.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why is the wire rope/chain so much more of a pain than rope?

I would make the connection between the chain/wire to dock with anchor shackles so you could release it easily. Or maybe you don't want it to be released easily to prevent vandalism.

By Ash (stuntmonkey) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chain + carabiners. We have ours secured to some 15L buckets of concrete with chain and some carabiners on the end. Works great if you need to move it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com