Hole saw for 1 " thru hull (vent line... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Hole saw for 1 " thru hull (vent lines) « Previous Next »
By Brian Kaufman (madison_boarder) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hello everyone,

I'm just finishing installing integrated ballast in my 81 Nautique and I have one last task-- I need to add new vent lines for bag overflow. I used calipers to determine the size of the hole (1") but I have a problem-- I can't find a 1 inch fiberglass specific hole saw. I have one at 2" that I used for the Perfect Pass install I did over the winter, but no one seems to make one at 1".

Does anyone know:

1.) Where i could find a 1" fiberglass-specific hole saw? (like the RemGrit Brand 2" one I have)

Or

2.) Are there any other kinds of hole saws I can use without causing cracks/chips to form (I know to use masking take and to drill in reverse already)

By Danny Simon (wakerider42) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Option 2 has always worked perfectly fine for me with non-fiberglass specific hole saws. I forget the brand, but I use the generic ones from Home Depot or Lowes. I've done about 5 or so holes with hole saws like this and never had any chipping at all. Nice and clean.

Just make sure you are perpendicular to the surface, go easy, and as already stated, use some tape and go in reverse so it doesn't bite.

I know it's one of those scary things that some people just don't want to do, especially for overflows that are on the side of the boat and will be visible. If you aren't confident, pay someone else to do it so you can blame the outcome on them and not kick yourself if you screw it up.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the placement of the hole. That's where I get nervous. Your eye can pick up the slightest error, and measuring doesn't always look right...sometimes you gotta just go with what looks centered or lined up or straight. Not sure if you will be putting more than 1 or trying to land in line with an existing one, so maybe this is not relevant.

Danny

By nacho (denverd1) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
any hole saw will work. Don't need 'glass specific saw.

By Brian Kaufman (madison_boarder) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to post some pics when I am done... this boat is starting to look gorgeous, pre-2001 (model 2001, not year) Ski Nautiques are GORGEOUS, adn really not half bad for wakeboarding! :-)

By Tony (guitsboy) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 2:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ive heard it suggested that you drill a pilot hole from the inside first, then when you actually cut with the hole saw from the outside, put the drill in reverse first to gently score the gelcoat, then cut as normal.

Ill be trying this method over the weekend...

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't drill from the inside out, pretty much guaranteed to chip the gelcoat.

1. Drill a pilot hole
2. Run the hole saw in reverse until you are completely through the gelcoat
3. Finish drilling through the glass in either forward (quicker) or reverse (slower/safer)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com