Advice on buying first boat Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Advice on buying first boat « Previous Next »
By gcram (gcram) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am looking to buy my first boat and I want to make sure I don't make EVERY mistake possible.

I'm looking for:
*New or used, price range will probably dictate used though
*Both wakeboard/ski and family use
*Price range between $15K and $18K

I was hoping to get some advice on manufacturer, year, must-have options and things to steer clear of, etc. Basically, I want the most "bang for my buck" without spending a lot of bucks (who isn't though!).

By OnlyInboards.com (wakereviews) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My first boat was a Sport Nautique and it was incredible. You could pick up an early 90's one, put a tower, racks, bimini, perfect pass and speakers on it and still be in that price range.

By bb12 (bradenb12) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check this out:

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/06/the_tenthousand_dollar_sport_n.html

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The only options for new you have in that price range are the 17-18 foot bayliners, searays, etc.. In my opinion buying one of these is a complete waste of money. If you buy one and decide you don't like boating or that you want to upgrade which is usually the case you will lose your ass on the boat. If it was me a would choose a mid 90's open bow inboard 100 out of 100 times assuming the inboard is in decent shape.

In your price range I would consider the following:

Mastercraft 205
Nautique Sport Nautique
Supra Sunsport
Malibu Sunsetter
Sanger DLX

If you find a really good deal My tops though would be a v-drive and you might be able to find one of the following:

Sanger V210
Nautique Super Sport

Where are you from? The reason I ask is that if you are on the East Coast it will eliminate the Sangers. They are for the most part a west coast only boat.

(Message edited by polarbill on June 26, 2008)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com