Weekend projects - before/after Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Weekend projects - before/after « Previous Next »
By Todd Kruisselbrink (needwake) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I picked up a 1998 Mastercraft 205 last fall. Low hours (260) but it needed a cleaning bigtime and a few small things - circ. pump was going, blower was shot, misc. wiring. I have been working on in for the past few months when I haven't been out in it but have finally put something together.

List of things I have done:

Replaced circ. pump, replaced blower, rewired nav. lights, rewired rear power outlet, took apart all the seats and cleaned them with magic eraser and 3M vinyl cleaner, cleaned the tower, pressure-washed/shampooed the carpet, made a new sunpad because it didn't have one, re-sanded and re-oiled the teak platform, buffed the boat with rubbing compound to remove the oxidation, replaced all the decals, new tires/rims.

I still have to paint the trailer and re-paint the platform brackets but it has come a long way.

What it looked like when I bought it
Upload
removing the old decals before buffing
Upload
Upload
After side decals are removed and buffed
Upload
In-progress buffing shots
Upload
Upload
Applying the new decals
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Before/after shot of rear of boat
Upload
Upload
Finished (for now) side of boat
Upload

(Message edited by needwake on June 25, 2008)

By nacho (denverd1) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow! looks great! nice Moosehead BTW.

So, buffing compound only huh? on a orbital buffer? any tips or tricks? wet sanding just doesn't sound fun and I don't think i need to get that involved. just some oxidation. great looking ride.

By Matt Murphy (ncsuuh) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the same issue on our x-45. Thought about wet sanding it.

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should be proud of your efforts. It looks really great man good job!

By Stephen Higgins (srh00z) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice work, not the most fun thing to do, but definitely rewarding.

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow, nice work. I'll bet that's pretty damn rewarding. Beautiful!

By michael z (absoluteboarder) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
nice job todd.......a world of difference!

By Robert Colbert (wkbrdindmax) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just goes to show a ten year old Mastercraft still looks better than a brand new _________.

By TXSurf (bac) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks awesome!!! Definitely shed some light on what you did as far as buffing.

By Ronia Nash (ladythump) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
awesome job! That platform looks amazing!!

By Jos (jtnz) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whoa, it was looking pretty tidy looking to start with, now she is an absolute beauty. Nice work man.

By Tyler Hildebrand (ty540) on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
One of these days (or years) I am going to follow in your footsteps. I can't explain how badly I want a 205(v) or a (Super) Sport Nautique.

Well done!

By Todd Kruisselbrink (needwake) on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the compliments!! I am very happy with how it turned out. The rubbing compound was easier and turned out better than I thought. I was just going to try the rubbing compound and if it didn't work move on to wet sanding but didn't need to. 3M heavy duty rubbing compound, followed by Meguiars marine polish and a couple of coats of Meguiars flagship marine wax seemed to make it work. It took a long time, but with the power buffer and a few hours at a time at night and on weekends it was not bad. Plus when I could see such drastic results immediatly it made it a lot more fun.

Yep, the Moosehead was definately a big helper on the job!!

(Message edited by needwake on June 26, 2008)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com