Kicker amp cutting out! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Kicker amp cutting out! « Previous Next »
By Brandon (bwillx2) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a zx850.4 bridged down running my pair of wetsounds pro 485's! After playing for about an hour the speakers will cut off. I can cut the radio off, let it set for a few minutes and it will be fine. Is this normal? or what could be the problem

By nu bu (05mobiuslsv) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The amp is overheating. Install a fan on that amp and your problems will be over, I had to do that last year when I was running an 850.4.

By pwork (siuski) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Had the same issue with the same amp:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/593036.html?1214076550

I just installed a 12v fan from radio shack in the plexi. We'll see how it works this weekend.

By Tanner Russell (tanner) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also make sure your amp is mounted vertically, not horizontally

By Brandon (bwillx2) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like I need to get some fans and my problems will go away. They are also right up against the side wall on the carpet so some spacers would probably be nice to get some air flow in behind the amps

By N Adams (thesack) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Problem can be one of 2 things both appear to be the same thing. One is an impedence issue (but that shouldn't be the issue here) the other is over heating. To start with instead of wasting your money on a fan just place 3/4" spacers at each screw mounting location to push the amp away from the wall. That should solve your issue. If its still over heating then add the fan.

Just curious is it a solid red light or does it flash from red to green?

By Brandon (bwillx2) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
haven't even noticed about the light, all I know is that it cuts off, let it set for a bit and then it's good to go!

By TigeMike (chpthril) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm with N Adams on getting the amp off the wall so it can breath

I make these up with scrap carpet and 1x2

Upload
Upload

By pwork (siuski) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good call with the spacers and vertical mount. If the fan doesn't help I'll add those. With my calibrated hand it had quite a bit of air moving over the heat sinks. Impeadance is OK with my setup, but I didn't start having problems until 3 unique events happened:

1. Wife packed so much #@$! in there that it couldn't get any air. I took care of that problem

2. Got hot out. Happened on the first 90+ deg day. Had 40 hours on the setup (spring/early summer riding) before any issues popped up.

3. Didn't have any kids on the boat, and no one else around, so we cranked the DBots while we were riding. Sounded very good BTW until the amp shut down.

By Brandon (bwillx2) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How do you wire up the fans??

By N Adams (thesack) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brandon,

Before you waste money on the fan. Look at what the light is doing. That will help us to tell you what to do.

The Kicker Amps overheat cuz the back of the amp is next to the carpet. Moving it away from the carpet solves the over heating issue. You realy dont need the fans.

By Brandon (bwillx2) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 2:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I will give it a try and see what happens! I don't know why the place installed them right up against the carpet anyway! Hope it works

By Sam (wake1823) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 2:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
^^^^b/c it's not an issue most of the time to mount amps directly to carpet. Secondly most installers don't really understand installing stereos in boats....there're not really paid to think, just install. Of course there are expceptions...some of which post on this board.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes amps do often require fans in boats due to the levels we play at in the open air the amps get very hot and if they are in a closed compartment where is all that wasted energy(heat) going to go but soak into the amp until it either goes into protection and backs down or cuts out. Ive had fans on all my amps for years and NEVER have shutdowns due to heat, in florida.
The way I did it was use the amp turn on signal from the deck to turn on a seperate relay that runs everything, all amps and all fans. Small computer size fans do no draw much but can be used to extract heat or force cool air over your heat sinks. Mounting away from the wall is all great but the heat sinks are usually on the sides NOT on the back.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com