Cheap boat advice. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Cheap boat advice. « Previous Next »
By Jon Hunter (hunter660) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would like to get myself a new boat soon but my bujet for a boat is limited at this point. I want to stay under $10k. Am I better off with an old V-drive or a newer I/O and upgrading later?

Must be an open bow.

By Stephen Higgins (srh00z) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You will be hard pressed to find a V-drive for 10K. I follow the used boat market kind of as a hobby and I have seen about 3 or 4 V-drives under 10K in the last two years (and they were rough). You may find a Nautique Excel, but they are rare and usually around 12-15K. You may be able to get into a nice Direct Drive inboard around that price if you are patient and look diligently. Sport Nautiques, Pro Star 205 and Malibu Sunsetter LX's may be within reach. I have had I/O's, direct drives and V-drives and I prefer Direct Drives or V-drives. It depends on what you are going to be doing the most. If the boat is in the water, we are wakeboarding, surfing or wakeskating. So an inboard makes more sense. I also like the option of being able to wakesurf, and you can't do that behind an I/O.

By Jon Hunter (hunter660) on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like my choices are a direct drive with no room or a I/O with no wake.

By Stephen Higgins (srh00z) on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Direct Drives don't necessarily have no room, it is just distributed differently. It depends on how big your crew is. I should have also mentioned Supra Sunsports and Saltares. All of the ones I mentioned: Sport Nautique, Pro Star 205, Sunsetter, Sunsport are all open bow too. The Mastercraft Maristar series may be out there for a reasonable price and some of those have some room.

By big windy (creko) on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm with Steve 100%. Check this one out...

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=507154

If you wait until winter many of the above-mentioned boats will be more in reach.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com