Does Teak Oil Pollute? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Does Teak Oil Pollute? « Previous Next »
By Gary (sanger) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does teak oil pollute the water? My neighbor is trying to tell me that the teak oil on my swim step will pollute the water similar to motor oil. I Googled the question but did not find any info.

By Art (rallyart) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Teak oil is not a mineral oil like a motor oil. Having a salad is a closer comparison.

By Gary (sanger) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll take mine with blue cheese

By "G" (grant_west) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does your Neighbor drive a Prius?

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
NO!

By AndY (andy13) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
tell your neighbor to mind his own god dayumm business and tell him to ride his bike to work

By bryan lionel (lionel) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does your neighbor think you're applying the teak oil while the boat is in the water? You apply it out of the water and it DRIES, protecting the wood. I've never seen it leach into the water on my swim deck.

There are many more harmful pollutants we should be worried about instead of teak oil! Give me a break.

By Kelly (weskel) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Better watch out, next they will say all the oil in the sunblock is a pollutant....

By MCXSTAR (snork) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oils from sunblock are pollutants, only in large amounts.

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 5:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Like if they were slathered with it and decided to go swimming. Be careful they can also pollute your eyes. On the plus side they make some pretty damn good ballast!
Upload

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The EPA and the USCG do not classify teak oil as a pollutant unless released in large quantities - 11 gallons at a time. Your deck does not pollute.

Former USCG Investigating Officer and Pollution Investigator

By William (kana12) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 8:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"Former USCG Investigating Officer and Pollution Investigator"

ooooo a big shot huh.. lol

By Snippy Tyno (ironcross25) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gary,
I think your neighbor is Al Gore!

By Gary (sanger) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You guys are to funny! Those gals would definitely work for ballast!!! Sorry guys I should have given more information about the question. My neighbor is cheap, he uses motor oil and tells me I'm wasting my money on teak oil. I accuse him of polluting the water .

By Murphy Smith (murphy_smith) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I first read this thread...I thought to myself, this neighbor has to be from California. I then looked in the profile and low and behold it said CA.

Get ready...we're coming for your oil!!!

(Message edited by Murphy_Smith on June 20, 2008)

By Art (rallyart) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good Lord Hate, I'm nearly choking every time I check this thread... Upload

Gary, Teak has so many natural oils that when they cut a try down they leave it in the jungle for a couple years. Otherwise it would not float and they couldn't get it out easily. Your neighbors engine oil is a problem in small doses and comes out of the wood more because it can't soak in as far. (Now if he was really cheap he'd only put on used oil and that would add lots of extra stuff)

By Gary (sanger) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My guess is if he changed his own car oil he would recycle it - on the swim step.

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Art thats my wife and her closest friends. FYI she's the skinny one!

By cosmocat (treycleaton) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 5:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like the one in the black

By rick (justcoz5) on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are you good friends with this neighbor? I can't even believe they made a statement like that.

If they made that statement, they better not be driving a prius, they better be riding a scooter or bicycle.

Unfreaking believable, if my neighbor told me something like that I would walk right into their house and start rifling through their cabinets and show them everything in their house that could possibly be considered a pollutant. The first thing I would point out is whatever source they got that information from.

By Stacy Hays™ (ifishok) on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buy some teak oil credits, Al Gore sells them I bet.

By TXSurfVLX (bac) on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow! Motor oil, on teak??? And you're the one polluting? Sorry, but sounds like someone smacked your neighbor upside the head with the stupid stick.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com