Collapsible box anchor Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Collapsible box anchor « Previous Next »
By Brannon (fullspeed) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am in the market to buy a new Anchor. Has anyone used this anchor before and what are your thoughts. Thank you.

I have a Malibu VLX 06 that I will be using it with. Muddy bottom lakes mostly. Don Pedro type...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/251321/377%20710%20809/0/River/Lake%20Anchors/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/10/0?N=377%20710%20809&Ne=0&Ntt=River/Lake%20Anchors&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisp

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
a lot of people here really like that anchor

By MOX (uofamox) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love my box anchor. It has set everytime and holds extremely well. It is well worth the money.

By Art (rallyart) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just picked one up but have not tried it yet. It does collapse really well and takes very little room for such a big anchor.

By Mark (market_open) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought the small one at the beginning of last year and it works better than the 16# danforth type I used to have. They say it doesn't need any chain, but I added 6' of heavy chain anyway and it works great. Biggest plus is it folds to fit under the back seat. My last anchor I had to store under the bow.

By Ryan Howald (bsebllhglyknit) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Its such a nice feeling knowing that you can drop the anchor and stay in one stop. Get the box anchor you wont regret it.

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have one that I used with my '06 VLX and it's now being used with my '08. It works great with pretty much any bottom. My boat just spent four days at Lake Powell in front of a double up comp with the box anchor holding it and it didn't budge. It came up all muddy, so I'm guessing it was in pretty soft stuff.

By Scott Hochuli (scottnaz) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Another box anchor guy. This is my first summer with it, so only used it a few times, but, so far so good. You can buy direct from slideanchor.

http://www.slideanchor.com/box.asp

By Jonny WakeLV.com (wakeboardlasvegas) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Never leave home without it

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love the box anchor it holds like a champ and folds away to virtually nothing into a carrying case when you don't need it. I highly recommend it.

By Brannon (fullspeed) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 6:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sold, Looks like that is the one to buy then for me thanks for the great info.

By Wakejunky (wakejunky) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
But the price....OUCH!
I've had really good luck with a Fortress

Chris
www.wakejunky.com

By Adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Save your cash....use the danforth type anchor and add more chain if it's coming loose.

By Richard (nauty) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've used a navy style anchor for years and have rarely (if ever) had it fail on me.... that is until the other night when it somehow came off the end of my chain.

Now I'm looking for another navy style anchor but all the ones that I see are coated with vinyl. I'm not a fan of the vinyl ones because it seems as though they do not open as wide because of the vinyl. Any ideas on where to find a plain painted navy anchor? I'm looking for a 15 lb one.

By "G" (grant_west) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The box anchors are super nice. Easy to set but Dammm do they have to be so heavy????. With my Aluminum Fortress anchor its super light and the wife sets it perfict. The weight issue is more about banging the hell out of my boat when its heavy its hard to handle. Also the box anchor you have to watch out for the CLAWS. You cant lay that anchor on your vinyl like you can a nice rubber coated mushroom anchor.

I have a few Anchors on the boat. IF im just having lunch the mushroom works just fine. If im over nighting the boat then the Fortress come out.

By Stewart (stewart) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like my box anchor. I had problems on the delta with my danforth style anchor in the sand coming loose. (And yeas I know how to set them)

Switched to a box anchor and no issues what so ever.

By Sean (hudd007) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love the box anchor. I know where there is one REALLY cheap....Its at the bottom of lake folsom if anyone wants it. LOL.

I'm on my 4th anchor in 2 summers. 2 I had to cut loose because they were snagged and one the d-ring failed and as I was pulling it up it just got lighter (that was the box anchor).

By Hate N Pain (hatepain) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
G, funny I've never noticed that they were heavy. but your right when I set it up I flip a cushion over and rest it on the hard plastic side.

By Brannon (fullspeed) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My buddy accidently threw my anchor in the lake without clipping it to the bow. So that is why I am in the market for a new one. Had a Delta knock off that worked pretty good, but always heard good things about the box anchor. Since my buddy gave me $$ on a West Marine gift card I'm going to order it from there.

I knew once again I could count of my fellow Wakeworld members to help me out with info.

Brannon

By Tim (srock) on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thought I would give it a go but the stainless was 339.00! Ouch! Hell, that's two tanks of fuel. Ouch again!!!

(Message edited by srock on June 20, 2008)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com