Centurion Falcon AWSA approved Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through March 18, 2009 » Centurion Falcon AWSA approved « Previous Next »
By Don (silverwake) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just heard that the two Falcon models have been AWSA approved. That probably doesn't mean a lot to most people, but it does to those of us around private lakes that only allow AWSA approved hulls. Can anyone else confirm the approval?

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don,

Can they put them on a diet and get rid of a few hundred pounds?

Tim

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/Divisions/3event/2008ApprovedSkiBoats.pdf

By Don (silverwake) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tim, thanks for the link.
We're going to see how much weight can be taken out by removing all the LSL "illegal" equipment that comes standard on the boat to see if we can get under that magic number.

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don,

Do you know what the difference between an "approved ski boat" and an "approved towboat"?

The lists are different. I'm not sure what the difference is though.

TIm

By Don (silverwake) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 5:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My thought is that the approved tow boats are the only ones that can actually pull in an official tournament, but the approved ski boats have been "approved" to provide a sufficiently similar pull for those running a course. So I guess another way to look at it would be that the approved ski boats comprise a list from which the approved tow boats are chosen. That's just a guess though; I could be completely off.

By WAlove (masonwakerider) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
tim
the seat bases and center back rest are made mostly from wood frames and actualy removes fairly easly. They are quite heavy too i bet you drop at least 100#'s

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are not made from wood at least the boats built in the North Carolina plant

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
From http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AWSA%20Towboat%20Manual%2008.pdf

TOWBOAT DEFINITIONS
Approved Categories
USA-WS Approved Tournament Towboat
A specific model that has successfully passed the USA-WS Approved Tournament Towboat
Evaluations which are held in September or October of each calendar year. All boats
undergo a series of 11 tests and sub-tests which include power and acceleration and
centerline deviation. Only boats meeting Power and Acceleration standards for Record Capability
Tournaments will be allowed to pull class E, L and R Tournaments.
1. Changed or new models are required to physically test annually.
2. Unchanged models need physically test every two years.
2007-2008 TOWBOAT MANUAL
USA-WS Approved Ski Boat
A towboat that does not meet the rigorous performance standards of a USA-WS Approved
Tournament Towboat but is capable of pulling slalom, trick and jump skiers on tournament type
lakes. It is not approved for use in Class C or above tournaments.
1. An unchanged model needs to physically test every three years
2. A model is determined by the wetted hull surface.
a) May be open or closed bow.
b) May be equipped with any engine/transmission/propeller combination
approved by the Towboat Committee. The Towboat Committee may
approve other engine /transmission/propeller combinations without physically
testing.
3. The fee for testing shall be determined by the USA-WS Executive Committee.

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tim will that satisfy LSL?

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are still too heavy, but I'm not sure about being AWSA approved.

I'm not on the Lakes and Parks committee, so this is only my opinion.... My guess is that they will clean up the language of the regs and make them Approved Tournament Towboat.

It looks like the only difference between the classifications is that it doesn't meet the power and acceleration requirements. What would cause them to not meet the requirements to be a Tournament Towboat? With the 6.2L motor, you would think that would be more than enough for the power and accelleration standards.

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
1. POWER AND ACCELERATION
The object of these tests is to determine whether a boat has adequate power to pull
slalom and jump events. The distance required to pull a skier from a deep-water start on
a competition slalom ski and accelerate to 36 mph will be measured. This distance may
not exceed 250 feet, and must not exceed 230 feet to pull Record Capability
tournaments. The distance required to pull a skier from 35.4mph to 38.2mph will
also be measured and must not exceed 70 feet to pull Record Capability
tournaments. Alternatively, a load device, capable of consistently simulating the
resistance of a skier throughout the designated course may be used to replace the skier.
If a boat passes the "distance to 36mph” portion, its power will be further tested during
the slalom and jump deviation tests. Failure to meet these marks indicates lack of
appropriate power. All drivers will observe the adequacy of power while pulling skiers
under tournament conditions. This testing includes the ability to consistently obtain times
within the allowed tolerances for slalom and jump courses.

By Don (silverwake) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Off subject - Kevin have gotten a chance to ride behind that new SD220 on your lake?

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Don I have seen the boat on the lake but have not had a chance to drive or go for a ride.
We are VERY busy with the ski club getting ready for the July 4th ski show

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2009, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com